March 28, 2024, 06:38:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conservation of Mass/Matter  (Read 8380 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Conservation of Mass/Matter
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
Now I know this law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed. What I'm curious though is that when antimatter touches normal matter the two completely obliterate each other.

Isn't that a contradiction of this law or am I missing something?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Conservation of Mass/Matter
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
More precisely it is law of conservation of mass AND energy, as these are equivalent. Thus anihilation produces energy in mc2 amount and everything is OK.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Conservation of Mass/Matter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How dumb of me. I forget to take into account what happens after the two come together. They go BOOM! and release a tremendous amount of energy. That is where the matter goes. Thank you Borek. I guess I spaced out on this one.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links