April 29, 2024, 01:16:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How toxic is chlorine gas?  (Read 5655 times)

ToyMachine

How toxic is chlorine gas?
« on: April 09, 2006, 01:58:34 PM »
I was wondering because for an experiment I'm doing the mixture of bleach and vinegar would REALLY speed things up, without it I have to wait a week before I can do this.
But obviously this makes chlorine gas.  So I was wondering, as long as I don't directly inhale the vapors, would it be safe to do this outside?

Thanks.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
Re: How toxic is chlorine gas?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:20:37 PM »
How experienced are you with working with toxic chemicals? Of course, what you suggest can be done safely, but you need to know what you do.

If you make chlorine gas in small quantities, then you can do that outside ssafely. You do not need to worry about killing yourself or some of the people and animals around you, but you can have quite an uncomfortable time if you take a big whiff of the gas accidentally.

Vinegar and bleach indeed produce chlorine, but you certainly will not see the green color of the gas, when you mix these two. For that purpose, vinegar is a too weak acid. If you really want bubbles of chlorine gas, then you need to add concentrated hydrochloric acid to household bleach.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

ToyMachine

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »
Thanks.

I am indeed not at all experienced with this stuff as you probably guessed from my necessity to ask the question ;D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 06:37:36 PM »
You might want to stand on the opposite side that the wind is blowing, although it'll probably become very dillute in the open air outside. I cleaned my bath tub with bleach and I forgot to open a window and the door was half closed. It wasn't a pleasant expierence at all. Proper ventilation shouldn't be that much of a problem because your outside. Also you will want to avoid getting bleach on your bare skin and clothes. Where some old work clothes. Be smart and safe.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:41:47 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:40:52 PM »
Never do an experiment inside the house! Its always best to have as much ventillation as possible.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links