March 28, 2024, 07:54:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "GHS Safety Data Sheets" what is the importance and function of this sheet?  (Read 5940 times)

SeanMartinez

"GHS Safety Data Sheets" someone tell me that this important before use any chemicals and said that this sheets only available in specific licensed authorizations like "International Chemical Safety Data Solution”. What is the importance of this sheet and why it is necessary before use any chemicals?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Briefly, everyone who handles everything has to know what they're doing -- we verify that people can handle guns, automobiles, construction equipment in a variety of different ways, as an example.  People have, historically, gone litigious very quickly when there's an accident involving laboratory or industrial use of chemicals.  So, various national and international organizations have come together to make up a specific format so everyone has the same information, all in one handy spot -- the Safety Data Sheet.

Do you have one?  For what chemical?  Can you read what it says?  Do you find the information useful or handy?

P.S.  they're drafted to a specific format controlled by licensed authorities, but every manufacturer provides them with every order of any chemicals.  And you can always find them on the manufacturer's website, or even by simply Googling.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

SeanMartinez

Thanks sir for your answer and suggestions. As you said that from online I could get some good information about this sheet. Yes I was tried it using "International Chemical Safety Data Solution" and get a website as icsds.com where I got some knowledge about MSDS. But I ask this question here hoping any expert will explain me simply what importance of MSDS is.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
But I ask this question here hoping any expert will explain me simply what importance of MSDS is.

It lists the hazards associated with the material, what you should do in the event of an accident or spillage, storage conditions etc etc. You need to know how dangerous a chemical is, and what you will do in the event of an accident, before you handle it. This is called risk assessment. If you've spilled a bottle of something that is corrosive and fatal on contact with skin, you will be in too much pain and may not have enough time to consult the MSDS and decide what to do about it.

Honestly I have trouble understanding why you don't see why this has a purpose...

If you go out picking mushrooms for you lunch without a mushroom field guide you may end up in desperate need of a liver transplant or dead. The situation is similar for chemistry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:14:57 AM by Dan »
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline SeanMartinez

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Another elephant toothpaste thread
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:55:55 AM »
While going through your all discussion I found some valuable information regarding the elephant toothpaste which is really very useful. In every industry there should be a material safety data sheet which contains information on the potential hazards like: health, fire, reactivity and environmental and how to work safely with the chemical product. I feel the important during a research with icsds.com, got to know many more things on SDS,MSDS & GHS.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)

Sponsored Links