April 18, 2024, 10:52:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Am I Going to Make It Through Organic 2?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline AD212005

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Am I Going to Make It Through Organic 2?
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Hi,

I am about to take Organic Chemistry 2 this semester. I know its a difficult class but I study pretty well and have confidence that I can handle most any class due to my good study habits. I do have a problem, however. It has been about 3-4 years since I had Organic Chemistry 1. I remember a few basic things but most of it has left me. Is it possible for me to be successful in Organic Chemistry 2 without that knowledge? If not, what do you guys think is the best option for me in relearning Organic 1 before I take 2 without having to retake the class?

Thanka,

Adam

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Am I Going to Make It Through Organic 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
The material is somewhat different, but I would look around for a refresher book on organic chemistry just to get your head back into the game.

Offline cseil

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:33:40 AM »
I am just curious. What's the program of your Organic Chemistry 2 course?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
It changes from one university to another. At mine orgchem1 is lot of nomenclature and more theoretical stuff like tautomerism/acidity/basicity/mesomeric forms etc. while orgem 2 is synthesis and reactivity of compounds form alkanes to heterocycles

Offline cseil

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
I understand, I asked because here (Italy) I also have two exams of organic chemistry.

Organic Chemistry 1 is nomenclature, acidity, basicity, stereochemistry ecc ecc, but we also do all the synthesis and reactions (alkanes -> aromatic compounds) and NMR / IR (just the basic stuff).

Organic Chemistry 2 is all about aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids and the relative reactions, then lipids, amino acids, carbohydrates ecc... mass spectrometry and UV (just the basic stuff, again).

I find it a little complicated, there's not enough time to "absorb" all that stuff. We have the exams of Organic Chemistry 1 in January / February, and the exams of Organic Chemistry 2 in June, July and September (we choose when to do what).

Sponsored Links