March 28, 2024, 04:49:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need some help about chemistry college and jobs  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Walter101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need some help about chemistry college and jobs
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:46:46 AM »
Hi. Im having some trouble with my future decision about chemistry. I live in Croatia and I'm curently finishing high school. If I go to a college will I have some parralel mini jobs that I'll get paid or not? How does it work in countries like Germany,Austria, Switzerland??

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need some help about chemistry college and jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »
So you'd like to work in industry, while still an undergraduate?  Hmmm ... tricky.  There's always the possibility of technician-type jobs, but in general, such jobs can just as easily go to someone with a low level degree (here in the US, I mean an Associates degree or even a Bachelors) or even a high school education.  You can talk about these things with instructors and administrators at the University, they understand the job market in Croatia better than I do.  I work for a consumer goods company, and many simpler chemical tasks are taken by technician level employees.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Walter101

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
What type of chemistry Is wanted ? I like physical,organic,anorganic just not biochemistry...
My parents are scaring me that there is no jobs for chemist -.- is that true ? Im not planing to work in Croatia, I would like to work in  some german countries.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
I think its tricky to work in industry and study at same time. I mean they will expect you to work 4-6 hrs a day (every day) which is IMO not compatible with study.
If you want to get some lab experience and maybe even get paid, ask at the university if you can be part of some research projects. Its good way to get used to lab work, get experience and befriend professors at your department.
One of my friends screwed at final examinations and now has to wait whole year for next try. However hes was realy interested in all the projects so now he synthesises compounds for everyone at our department so he get tons of experience.

Offline Walter101

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
I think its tricky to work in industry and study at same time. I mean they will expect you to work 4-6 hrs a day (every day) which is IMO not compatible with study.
If you want to get some lab experience and maybe even get paid, ask at the university if you can be part of some research projects. Its good way to get used to lab work, get experience and befriend professors at your department.
One of my friends screwed at final examinations and now has to wait whole year for next try. However hes was realy interested in all the projects so now he synthesises compounds for everyone at our department so he get tons of experience.

Sounds nice:D  But I would have to be better then others. Right? What did you finished? You working? Have you masters degree?
The payment is not so important to me, just so I can be seen , if you know what i mean.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
Im 1st year master student atm. I got my BS in bioinorganic chem but getting masters in organic.
I think you dont have to be better than others, its about that you want to work in lab, that you are interested, willing to spend time working and willing to spend time to go ask if there is any kind of job for you. None expects you to be briliant at 1st year but they will tell you what to do and most likely (if it works out :D ) you will do proven chemisty - ie. synthesise needed intermediates that were done before.

Offline Plumbum

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:43:19 AM »
Dont come to germany. they kill us here. you cant work next to college. and they wot hire you cuz your german aint perfet ( trust me im german.)
There might be some language misunderstandings - I'm from Germany

Sponsored Links