March 29, 2024, 10:51:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ice - liquid, isolating liquid molecules escaping ice?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline vizakenjack

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Ice - liquid, isolating liquid molecules escaping ice?
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »
So, at 0°, H2O molecules will be escaping ice into the liquid portion of a cup:

as well as H2O molecules from liquid portion will enter the ice cube. Both of these processes happen at the same rate, so the exchange of molecules is said to be at equilibrium.

But, what if... you catch a few molecules that escaped the ice state, and then you collect them. Would this affect the overall state of water in a cup? Or will it still balance itself as its temperature is at 0°.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ice - liquid, isolating liquid molecules escaping ice?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:58:09 AM »
How are you going to catch these molecules?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Ice - liquid, isolating liquid molecules escaping ice?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:43 AM »
But, what if... you catch a few molecules that escaped the ice state, and then you collect them. Would this affect the overall state of water in a cup? Or will it still balance itself as its temperature is at 0°.

Have you heard of the thought experiment -- Maxwell's Demon?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_demon  Or perhaps you are on your way to rediscovering it?  At any rate, recognizing that chemical equilibria may be simply a statistical observation is all well and good.  However, you have to deal sooner or later with Borek:'s question -- how will you achieve it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links