April 20, 2024, 08:39:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolving Eggs  (Read 24556 times)

Jaques

Dissolving Eggs
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:41:25 PM »
hehe. Melting .(Correction not melting. but dissolving.)  again. Only this time Its actually happening.

No idea what brought this on, but I wanted to try melting the hard shell out of eggs. And I've been successful until now.

So I thought if it were possible to get rid of the shell by using only household material, and well seems like it is. I took a normal egg and put it in a glass cup with Vinegar (acetic acid 5-15%) and Lemon juice (citric acid) mix. The mix was mostly Vinegar, and well for the first few minutes nothing much was happening. But then It started fizzing and well smelling really "ughh".  And the reaction continued for awhile actually. like 2 days and 1 night.  And well the fizz wasn't exactly normal, it was all sticky and stuff. Kinda funky.  But by then the vinegar had diffused into the egg, since now the egg had a yellow-ish hue to it.   But that didnt' allow me to see the yolk, which would assure me that the shell was complelty gone and only the transparant membrane is there holding the egg. So now I'm diffusing the egg with water, hopefully that'll work.

But I just checked if I could see the yolk, and I can, but i have to put it up against light. So If anyone has any idea on how to make the yolk visible, I'm willing to try it.

And I have a question for you. I'm still in highschool chemistry, so this kinda puzzles me. Acid and acid don't react right? If so then, how come there was fizz?  Logically I assumed that the acids were reacting with the eggshell, and if that is true. Then what would be the chemical equation for this reaction?  Just wondering and trying to make this an "academic" experiment.

Okay now for the picture.

What you see in the picture is the midway point. I'll take a more recent picture soon. Hopefully showing the yolk.

And yeah, it is floating. But i don't think it's floating because of the egg getting lighter in density or the water . You see the little bumps on the egg? Those are little packs of air, and that was a result of the reaction, and it rose up like that. And for the whole day and night it stayed up, but by the second evening it went down, which is when i changed it from vinegar to water. And right now it is sitting in water. [
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:07:48 PM by Jaques »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Melting Eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 01:46:08 PM »
but I wanted to try melting the hard shell out of eggs

Dissolving, not melting.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Melting Eggs
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »
An egg shell is like 95% Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3). The rest is calcium phosphate, magnesium carbonate, and proteins.
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/consumer/faq/eggshell-composition.shtml

CaCO3 is commonly used as an antacid. I wish I could tell you what the reaction was, but I don't know what the products are. I'm not very well educated in Organic Chemistry. Hopefully one of our Organic Chemists will read your question. I can tell you the gas that is being released is CO2 though.

Also Borek is right. It's dissolve not melt.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:28:51 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
Re:Dissolving Eggs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:35:05 PM »
A bit more info:

When you submerge an egg in vinegar, the shell dissolves. Vinegar contains acetic acid, which breaks apart the solid calcium carbonate crystals that make up the eggshell into their calcium and carbonate parts. The calcium ions float free, while the carbonate goes to make carbon dioxide—the bubbles that you see.

Joe

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
So what happens to the organic acid (acetic acid)?

Is it just a catalyst from the decomposition of CaCO3? Or does it get consumed?

Sorry I don't have much experience with Organic Chemistry.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:45:30 AM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:49:13 AM »
So what happens to the organic acid (acetic acid)?

Is it just a catalyst from the decomposition of CaCO3? Or does it get consumed?

Sorry I don't have much experience with Organic Chemistry.

What will happen if you use strong mineral acid instead of acetic acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
OOO. Sorry. Now that I know the Ca will be left over the balanced equation should look like this:
4CaCO3 + CH3COOH -> 2H2O + 4Ca + 6CO2

Am I right. Like I've said before, I haven't done much work with Organic Chemistry as far as expirements and education.

I do know though that excessive C2H6O + person -> funny behavior + tipsy person.  ;)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 05:06:43 PM »
OOO. Sorry. Now that I know the Ca will be left over the balanced equation should look like this:
4CaCO3 + CH3COOH -> 2H2O + 4Ca + 6CO2

No. Please answer my question on strong mineral acids. Try with hydrochloric, as that's the simplest case.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 12:50:40 PM »
The acid will be consumed in the reaction. Hydrochloric acid + Calcium Carbonate would look like:
2HCl + CaCO3 -> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O

The calcium would become calcium chloride. The left over H's, C's, and O's would become H2O and CO2.

This is what would happen if you used a mineral acid, right?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:51:17 PM by constant thinker »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 12:55:17 PM »
2HCl + CaCO3 -> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O

OK. Organic acids in this case will behave the same way - they are acids first, organic later :) Now try to write reaction of CaCO3 dissolving in acetic acid - all you have to do is to replace hydrochloric with acetic.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
5CH3COOH + 4CaCO3 -> 10H2O + 4CaC2 + 6CO2

I get stuck on the products. I'm not sure if it's CaC2 or just Ca. Joeflsts says that Ca just floats away free, unless he's not looking at the full reaction. ???

I intended to ask about organic acids and how they react with bases awhile ago. I guess I'm asking it now.

Thanks for helping me on this Borek by the way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:17:51 PM by constant thinker »

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »
5CH3COOH + 4CaCO3 -> 10H2O + 4CaC2 + 6CO2
Too complicated (and wrong)!!!  Actually, the same reation takes place only that calcium acetate forms instead of calcium chloride. Nothing happens to the acetate ion. This is no redox reaction! :)

Hint: write "HAc" instead of CH3COOH (Where "Ac- stands for the acetate ion (CH3COO-))

I'm not sure if it's CaC2 or just Ca
Neither CaC2 nor Ca. The product is calcium acetate (CH3COO)2Ca
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:27:43 PM by Alberto_Kravina »

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:40:37 PM »
Where "Ac- stands for the acetate ion (CH3COO-)

I thought I have seen Ac used to refer, not to CH3COO (like you said, and which makes sense to me), but instead to CH3CO, so acetates are, e.g., HOAc.  I'm thus a little confused by what is meant by 'Ac' when I read it somewhere.

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »
Yes! Ac can stand either for an acetyl group (CH3CO) or for the acetate anion (CH3COO-)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »
Sometimes CH3COO- is written as AcO- and acetic acid as AcOH.

Sponsored Links