March 29, 2024, 05:34:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Filtration through pad of silica  (Read 17668 times)

Offline uwants100

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Filtration through pad of silica
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
Hey smart follks,
I currently came across a problem. so when referring to "filtering through pad of silica" in a literature procedure, does it imply I can just pour some dry silica on a fritted funnel and suction filtrate my mixture through?? If not, what does it really mean?

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
Re: Filtration through pad of silica
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
You can gain useful insight into the characteristics and applications of silica gel c/o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel.

In particular, the use of silica gel as an adsorbent in cat litter provides an practical example of "filtration through a pad of silica". Diatomaceous earth, sometimes referred to and marketed under trademarked brand names such as Celite(R), also can be used for this purpose.

Information contained in the following primary literature reference also should prove helpful as you strive to master the fundamentals of organic laboratory techniques; see http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed039p355

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
Hey smart follks,
I currently came across a problem. so when referring to "filtering through pad of silica" in a literature procedure, does it imply I can just pour some dry silica on a fritted funnel and suction filtrate my mixture through?? If not, what does it really mean?

It is basically somewhere between a Celite filtration and a very short silica column. It's used to quickly separate compounds with very different retention times - i.e. the separation is so large that the unwanted material is completely immobile in the eluent chosen but the compound(s) of interest will have high mobility. The eluate is normally collected as a single fraction (as with a Celite filtration). It is normally used for either very clean transformations in which there are no impurites with similar (or greater) mobility on silica gel, or as a quick partial purification prior to another more sophisticated purification technique.

A silica pad can prepared in the same way as you would a Celite pad or a (very short) silica column (i.e. not dry but properly packed).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
From the sound of what you would like to accomplish, I'm joining the others and recommending you use Celite.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
Depending on the mixture, celite may not retain the polar material effectively
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links