April 29, 2024, 04:00:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR splitting diagram  (Read 2643 times)

Offline scharmed1991

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NMR splitting diagram
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
hey, having a bit of confusion with a splitting diagram that I need to create. I'm looking at a single CH with is coupled to a CH2 with a J value of 7.32 and two equivalent CH3 with a J value of 6.6. on the spectra there is only 5 peaks present but I just cant seem to get this to fit using a splitting tree. any help would be massively appreciated.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: NMR splitting diagram
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »
I just cant seem to get this to fit using a splitting tree. any help would be massively appreciated.

So what do you expect to see based on your splitting tree (and why)?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline OrgXemProf

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
    • OrgXhemProf Home Page
Re: NMR splitting diagram
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
Do you have an experimentally-determined NMR spectrum for a specific organic compound to which you plan to apply first-order spectral analysis?  If so, please provide a copy of the actual NMR spectrum to be analyzed.

Alternatively, is this a hypothetical example in which a single methine proton is coupled simultaneously to adjacent methylene protons (J = 7.32 Hz) and also to two adjacent (magnetically equivalent) methyl groups (J = 6.6 Hz)? If so, it is important to know the chemical shifts of all mutually coupled protons, since the ratio of (delta nu)/J determines whether or not the spin system is amenable to first-order spectral analysis.

And finally, you mentioned that "there is only 5 peaks present". Do you mean 5 peaks in the entire proton NMR spectrum of the compound, or 5 peaks that correspond to one of the proton absorption patterns (perhaps those that correspond to the methine CH proton absorption) in the spectrum?

Clarity, clarity.

Sponsored Links