March 29, 2024, 12:51:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Arrows in Mechanism  (Read 1404 times)

Offline jdorvil

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Arrows in Mechanism
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
Hi. I'm trying to do my chemistry home work online but it's driving me nuts. everytime i put in the arrows it refuses to accept my answer as correct. Can anyone please help me put the arrows correctly on this reaction. Like how am i supposed to get to the answer? ]Also what would be it's enantiomer. Thanks in Advance!!

The enantiomer would be Rs and OH switching arrows right? The Rs would be dashed and the (left one) OH sticking out?

i attached a picture

Offline SinkingTako

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Re: Arrows in Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »
Can you please show what arrrows you have drawn that the system doesn't accept? Forum rules.

To answer your 2nd question, yes the enantiomer would be the Rs and OH switching "arrows*"- but that is only one part that has changed in the molecule. Look up the definition of an enantiomer, it should be "one of two stereoisomers that are mirror images of each other that are non-superposable"(from Wikipedia). So are they mirror images?

*And I think you call the arrows "wedged" if the bond is solid and pointing out of the page, "dashed" if it is a dotted line pointing out of the page. That should be the correct terminology. Arrows are usually for reactions and movement of electrons.
Hello!

Sponsored Links