January 16, 2022, 06:02:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: coumpound pKa  (Read 5004 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
coumpound pKa
« on: July 30, 2004, 09:07:03 AM »
Is there a way to find the pKa of deprotonation of an amine. Everywhere I look, they mention the pKa between the protonated ( R-NH3+) form and the normal one (R-NH2).

What I am looking for is the second pKa, the one between the normal form (R-NH2) and the less common deprotonated form (R-NH-).

Anyone have an idea where i can find this type of information? I triex sciFinder & Beilsthein but they only mention the first pKa... Thanks in advance  :)

Offline movies

  • Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1973
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-20
  • Gender: Male
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:coumpound pKa
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 12:22:50 PM »
Some of that stuff should be on the Evans pKa tables (http://daecr1.harvard.edu/pKa/pKa.html) or the Bordwell pKa tables (http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/pkatable/index.htm).

If you can't find it there, you're going to really have to dig to find it.


  • Guest
Re:coumpound pKa
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 04:00:21 AM »
Do you think it would be safe to find pKa data on just some generic amine and then assume it would be nearly the same for any amine in the R-NH- form?

Sizable deviations in reported pka values ('normal' amines) for the same compound are quite common and can be as high as 20%...   So the difference in pKa between R-NH- and R'-NH- may be less than measurable.

Sponsored Links