April 26, 2024, 08:14:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Book made of diesel  (Read 4788 times)

Tofer

Book made of diesel
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:20:13 AM »
Hello everybody!

It sounds a bit challenging, but we need to make an advertising booklet, which you can easily transform into a diesel to fuel your car in extreme conditions. Imagine you travel with your car far away from civilisation. In the midst of your adventures, you might end up in places not really familiar with gas station. The last thing you want to happen in such circumstance is to run out of fuel. We want to create this advertising booklet, which can be used to cook 1 liter (=10/15 km) of your own diesel fuel! In an ideal world we want it to be done in a very very simple way, may be just by melting the booklet in a pot or dissolving it's papers in your tank.

Thank you!

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Book made of diesel
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:02:52 AM »
Use Hollow pages & puncture them!

Tofer

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:09:28 AM »
Use Hollow pages & puncture them!

Yeah! It's really one of possible solutions we've already thought about. If we won't come up with another intellegent solution, we would do it this way. Thanks!

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:13:29 AM »
Or use very thick cover / binding / spines.

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:30 AM »
Maybe if there were a spongey material between the pages it would be more stable than if it were fully hollow.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Tofer

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Maybe if there were a spongey material between the pages it would be more stable than if it were fully hollow.

But then you need kind of squeeze it to get the fuel. For 1L you need to produce quite a thick book.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »
FYI
From a GOOGLE search

Diesel fuel weighs about 7.1 pounds per gallon, so a liter, of which there are 3.8 in a gallon, would weigh about 1.9 pounds.

@Tofer
I am wondering if you have already done some research on bio diesel to give you an idea of how complex this could be and how much understanding of chemistry in general you have

Tofer

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:16 AM »
FYI
From a GOOGLE search

Diesel fuel weighs about 7.1 pounds per gallon, so a liter, of which there are 3.8 in a gallon, would weigh about 1.9 pounds.

@Tofer
I am wondering if you have already done some research on bio diesel to give you an idea of how complex this could be and how much understanding of chemistry in general you have

I guess it is complex) But complex challenges change the world around us) Well, I am asking because you may have read or heard about something like this. I know it's not easy to do it if nobody has done it before)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
As has been pointed out, this advertising booklet is going to weigh at least 1 kg. I don't like junk mail at the best of times...

It would be cheaper and more convenient for everyone involved to just print what you want to say on the side of a 1 L fuel tank.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »
As has been pointed out, this advertising booklet is going to weigh at least 1 kg. I don't like junk mail at the best of times...

Besides, I'm not sure what the post office thinks about a shipment of diesel.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
You seem to be missing the point.  There's nothing "complex" about the simple fact that 1 liter of fluid weighs substantially more than a reasonable stack of paper.  The classic The Munsters TV show had an episode with a pill that converted water into gasoline, but that was just played for its inherent silliness factor.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links