March 29, 2024, 08:01:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: {air pollution stoichiometry}  (Read 1589 times)

Offline FoXxToNy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
{air pollution stoichiometry}
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Researchers in the lab are now investigating how recently built coal-fired plant affect the car body. The car body, according to research, can withstand the rain with pH 3. If the pH is less than this value, it can cause permanent damage to the car body. Since coal is not pure (it contains 4.9 m / m% of sulfur), it can greatly increase the concentration of hydrogen ions in the precipitations in the plant neighborhood. That being said, all rain containing burnt sulfur fill fall on area of 96 km2 around the plant. Amount of rain is measured in 33 mm (/m2).
Question:
What is the maximum amount of contaminated coal [coal that contains sulfur] (in kg) that can be burned in the plant that poses no threat to the vehicles?
 (Sulfuric acid should be considered as a strong acid with two values!)
Other required data: Msulfur= 32 g/mol.   
REMARK:
All units are in SI system.

*{MOD Edit -- give a useful title}*
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:14:37 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help me please.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
Welcome the the chemicalforums, FoXxToNy:.  Please trouble yourself to read the Forum Rules{click}, we like to see some effort from posters, on this forum.  You can start by trying to organize your question better.  This is a simple stoichiometry problem, as if chemicals were being mixed in a beaker.  The question seems to be discussing air pollution, but we don't usually define a fixed, known, fairly small area for air pollution.  What you have is a big beaker.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links