April 28, 2024, 03:20:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem with Schlenk Line :(  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Lynda92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Problem with Schlenk Line :(
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Hi,

I have a problem with my schlenk line. Every time I put my N2 and vacuum pump on and then I turn the tap to N2 with my flask attached, nitrogen goes all the way up the bubbler into the tubes connecting to the Schlenk Line. I have no idea why this keeps happening. The paraffin  should stay in the bubbler flask! :(

Would really appreciate some help. Thanks

Offline Shadow

• Mole Snacks: +5/-11
Re: Problem with Schlenk Line :(
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »
We need a better description if you want us to help thou.

Offline Lynda92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »
We need a better description if you want us to help thou.

The problem I have is paraffin from the N2 bubbler is going through my schlenk line tubing and I don't know why. When I turn my N2 tap on I can see paraffin rising up the glass tube in the bubbler all the way out of the bubbler then into the tubing connecting the schlenk line and also in the tubing connecting the taps of the schlenk line

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:02 AM »
The problem is when you turn off the nitrogen, right? I had a similar problem. When I turned off the nitrogen, all the oil would go back up the Schlenk line. Probably some outlet leak. Try sealing off all outlets properly, and check for leaks.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Mellitic

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
Every time I put my N2 and vacuum pump on and then I turn the tap to N2 with my flask attached, nitrogen goes all the way up the bubbler into the tubes connecting to the Schlenk Line...

Is your bubbler attached "in series" at the very end of you N2 line, so that it bubbles out into the air?  Or do you have a bubbler attached "in parallel", again so that it bubbles out into the air?  It sounds like you just have it set up wrong (photos would help).  Does this happen anytime you turn the N2 on, or only after switching from vacuum to N2?

Sponsored Links