April 25, 2024, 01:20:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Boutique Illegal Recreational Drug Trade  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
The Boutique Illegal Recreational Drug Trade
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
I made an approach to the lab during Chinese business hours, and I heard back within an hour. “First, can I know the application of this compound your client use?” asked the person on the other end. “I just want to make sure it is legal application. We can do custom synthesis of this simple chemical surely. But if you can give synthesis route, it will be very good for us and we can save some time for this project.”

I replied, “We are doing basic animal research into the compound’s putative analgesic properties. Based upon its expected effect on monoamines, we believe it will have fairly potent analgesic effects, whilst causing minimal cardiovascular strain. Our intention is to use it as a proof of concept for a new type of analgesic for dogs.”

My online identity for this character and for his company are bare bones: nothing but a webmail address. My cover explanation is that I am designing a painkiller—yet phenmetrazine, the clear progenitor of this recipe, is not known to have any analgesic qualities. To anyone who cares to look, my story is blatantly false. But the lab does not seem to care.

Full Story: The drug revolution that no one can stop
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: The Boutique Illegal Recreational Drug Trade
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
On the other hand, isn't it annoying how wide the restricted list of drug precursors has been made? There's lots of totally legit non-drug use molecules that have become quite difficult to make / sell / buy just because they are a few steps away from some recreational drug.

Where does this stop? I've heard stories (not sure if true) that in some US states personal ownership of glassware above a certain size it itself looked upon unfavorably by the law.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
I've heard stories (not sure if true) that in some US states personal ownership of glassware above a certain size it itself looked upon unfavorably by the law.

I believe that's the case in Texas. Not that it is related to the glass size - they just assume if you are not a trained chemist you have no reason to own a laboratory glass.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
Very intereting reading.

Sponsored Links