March 29, 2024, 07:03:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why isn't H2O part of reaction with solutions?  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Bel-p

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a mole!
Why isn't H2O part of reaction with solutions?
« on: April 02, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
This is something I really don't understand, and I'm not even sure how to ask the question - but I'll try.  Why isn't water part of the reaction in reactions between solutions?  

EG:
sodium hydroxide (aq) reacts with hydrochloric acid (aq) to make sodium chloride and water.
NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H20

As both of the reactants contain water, why doesn't the first part of the equation contain H2O?  And how do I know that the H2O that is apparently produced in the reaction isn't just the H2O that was in the two reactants in the firsts place?

Am I making any sense at all?  This question has been baffling me since I started (Sept 05).  

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Why isn't H2O part of reaction with solutions?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »
If your looking for a really simple reason then...

Think of the water that the HCl and NaOH are in as being only a medium that the reaction takes place in. It's only holds the 2 compounds and the subsequent reaction.

If your looking for a more specific reason with more chemistry terms, then you'll just have to hope one of the many professional chemists here will respond to your question.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:22:55 PM »
You can represent water as a subscript (aq) to show that the species is dissolved in water.

NaOH(aq) + HCl(aq) ---> NaCl(aq) + H2O(l)

You know this is the water molecule produced in this reaction simply because that is why you have written the reaction, to show the reaction between hydroxide and hydrogen ions:

OH- + H+ ---> H2O

If you did this experimentally you would have a hard time showing which molecule was produced from the reaction and which was already in teh bulk solution. You could possibly use deuterium (although I am not sure how exactly).

Water does not appear on the reactant side of the equation because it is a product of the reaction. It just also happens to be the medium the reaction is done in.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:24:39 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

hay

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:08:37 AM »
This is something I really don't understand, and I'm not even sure how to ask the question - but I'll try.  Why isn't water part of the reaction in reactions between solutions?  

EG:
sodium hydroxide (aq) reacts with hydrochloric acid (aq) to make sodium chloride and water.
NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H20

As both of the reactants contain water, why doesn't the first part of the equation contain H2O?  And how do I know that the H2O that is apparently produced in the reaction isn't just the H2O that was in the two reactants in the firsts place?

Am I making any sense at all?  This question has been baffling me since I started (Sept 05).  

Don't mind the quote, did this to refresh memory.

This is my own theory which I thought about it :P

Firslty, NaOH in water

NAOH --> NA+(aq)  +  OH- (aq)
Not forgetting the equilibrium in water( H2O molecules ), there would be more OH- than H+ in water, making the solution alkaline. Same goes to HCL in water, which makes the solution acidic.

Mixing both of them only gives you

Na+(aq), CL-(aq), and H2O!?!? WHat happen to the H+ and OH-?

Simple, the only reaction taking place is only H+ and Oh-.( This can be confirm using standard enthapy of neutralisaion) Due to the abundance in the 2 solution, they reacted together to form H2O molecules maintaing the equlibrium in water.

Some may wonder why does only the H+ and OH- react? My only possible guess is the strong electrostatic attraction between these 2 molecules wheras NA+ and Cl- are still strongly bonded to H2O molecules via ion dipole attraction.

Note in some neutralisation, a SOLID salt( For eg silver chloride) is produced? Why? The direct and foremost reason is Kip salt > Ksp. However what does they explain? Someone might want to answer me that  ;D My only guess is the energy involed using some formula

Sponsored Links