March 29, 2024, 01:40:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Precipitate in clear solution?  (Read 4768 times)

Offline brmc2tt

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Precipitate in clear solution?
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
I have a question that I've been wondering for while.  When trying to determine the solubility of something in high school chemistry, I was wondering how much undissolved substance or precipitate can be suspended in solution without the solution becoming visibly cloudy.  From my understanding when something is completely dissolved the solution will be perfectly translucent/transparent.  So how much precipitate could be present in, say, a 100 mL solution before it will be obviously cloudy?

Thanks for your *delete me*

Brett

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Precipitate in clear solution?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
Depends on the substance.

There is an analytical method based on the scattered light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbidimetry. Rarely used these days, but it was one of the standard methods somewhere in the last century.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
Not so long ago I used turbidimetry in a 5 cubic meter reactor full of a hot solution to determine the exact temperature when the crystallisation began. Worked like a charm!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline brmc2tt

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
Interesting but a little expensive for me.  Would you say the 100g of suspended precipitate in a 100mL solution would be easily visible by shining a light through the solution.  Can you guess about how much it would take? Or does it just vary too much from substance to substance?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 04:01:00 AM »
Would you say the 100g of suspended precipitate in a 100mL solution would be easily visible by shining a light through the solution.

100g in 100 mL is a slurry, not a solution. In typical applications (like determination of chlorides) turbidimetry operates at concentrations in the mg/mL range.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Would you say the 100g of suspended precipitate in a 100mL solution would be easily visible by shining a light through the solution. 

Visible? You could literally feel that sort of conc. with your finger.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:26:10 AM »

There is an analytical method based on the scattered light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbidimetry. Rarely used these days, but it was one of the standard methods somewhere in the last century.

@Borek:

What led to its decline as a technique? Do you know?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 06:01:51 AM »
What led to its decline as a technique? Do you know?

No idea. I guess it was just replaced by easier and more reliable techniques (say, ion selective electrodes).

Offline brmc2tt

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »
100g in 100 mL is a slurry, not a solution. In typical applications (like determination of chlorides) turbidimetry operates at concentrations in the mg/mL range.
I'm sorry, I mistyped; I meant to say 100mg in a 100mL solution.  I'm guessing that if turbidimetry operates in the mg/mL range then that wouldn't be very easy to see with the naked eye?

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
In skim milk (no fat globules), it is the casein micelles that give milk it's turbidity making the milk completely opaque and white. The concentration of protein in cow's milk on average is 3.3% (w/w) with 2.6% being the casein and about 0.7% the whey proteins (which contribute no turbidity).

The casein micelles are on average 200 nm in diameter. On the other hand if you had kappa carrageenan with a similar length of 200 nm (radius of gyration of approx. 100 nm with MW~1,000,000 g/mol and intrinsic viscosity of 15 dl/g) at that same concentration (2.6%), it would be a firm, solid gel yet would be completely transparent while the skim milk at this concentration is a completely turbid low viscosity liquid.

The difference is due to the shape where casein micelles are large but globular in shape which can scatter light well while kappa casein is large but extended & linear which allows light to pass through easier.

So in my opinion there are more variables that make your question difficult to answer without knowing the molecular dimensions (size and shape), not to mention interaction effects/A2 second virial coefficient (does the system prefer polymer-polymer or polymer-solvent interactions).
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Sponsored Links