March 29, 2024, 01:03:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: degree of dsissociation  (Read 1582 times)

Offline smartprincess

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
degree of dsissociation
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »
why degree of dissociation increases when concentration decreases?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: degree of dsissociation
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
Degree of dissociation is variable, and it can be expressed using dissociation constant (which is what really describes the dissociation) and the starting concentration - once you do, fact that degree of dissociation increases when concentration decreases is just a conclusion of the way dissociation equilibrium works.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AdiDex

• Mole Snacks: +16/-12
Re: degree of dsissociation
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
You can imagine it physically.....just think like this..

There are Na+ ..he has its lover that is Cl-...they came close to each other and formed a bond..when you will dissolve it  in the water...water molecules are the enemy of their bond....they will try to create some misunderstanding between them....but their bond is just perfect ...Na and Cl do not care about the rumors.....they are just enjoying their relationship..
But when you  add more and more water i.e. more enemies then perhaps the bond will breakdown..
I think i should give an example of  CH3COO- and H+..coz NaCl dissolve readily in water..
Talking technically....
It is just an equilibrium reaction
Salt + Solvent  ::equil:: Ions
When you add more and more solvent then equilibrium will shift forward to minimize the stress on it or to gain more stability....

Sponsored Links