April 26, 2024, 08:29:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm wondering what NaOH + Al (+ H2O) makes  (Read 8729 times)

Offline MU4L

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
I'm wondering what NaOH + Al (+ H2O) makes
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I've a question. I know next to nothing about chemistry, so.. Well, here. I plan on mixing sodium hydroxide and aluminum (with water if it is powdered sodium hydroxide) together and then running the smoke/steam through a bubbler. I'm wondering, after the chemical reaction: what would the once sodium hydroxide and aluminum (and water) mixture be, and what would the water in the bubbler turn to after the smoke/steam goes through it? Thanks!

(BTW, this is for a project I am working on. I will take extreme precautions when doing the reaction.)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I'm wondering what NaOH + Al (+ H2O) makes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
Welcome, MU4L: to the Chemical Forums.  According to the Forum Rules{click}, we want to see your attempt.  What do you expect to happen, and what do you want to do this experiment?  These are useful things to think about before you start, so you actually learn something from the experiment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MU4L

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
What do you mean by, "we want to see your attempt?" Like I said, I know next to nothing about chemistry. Although, I know that the reaction is exothermic, and will create a lot of smoke/steam, and also releases chlorine and hydrogen gas. For the project I am planning on 'extracting' energy from sodium hydroxide by using some TEGs to create electricity from the heat of the reaction, since it is an exothermic reaction. I wanted the bubbler because I'm pretty sure running the smoke/steam through it would change it in to some chemical. That way it could give electricity while giving another chemical for further use.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »
What do you mean by, "we want to see your attempt?" Like I said, I know next to nothing about chemistry.

I'm sorry, I thought you would actually read the forum rules, and understand what I meant.  This isn't a kiddie, gee-wiz what can I do next, basement bomber site.  We want you to learn things, and build from that knowledge.  This makes for much less annoying threads, because we don't have to explain the basics to you more than once.  And we can be sure you're ready to handle the risks involved with experiments, for liability for our forum.

Although, I know that the reaction is exothermic, and will create a lot of smoke/steam,

Very good, I'm glad to see you understand this concept, but ...

and also releases chlorine and hydrogen gas.

No.  It only releases one of those.  Often, when a new user arrives, we ask them to write a balanced chemical reaction, to show us they understand the first principles of chemistry, before they get hints on aggressive exothermic reaction's for power generation.  I'd like to see you do that now, so we can see where you think the chlorine gas comes from.

For the project I am planning on 'extracting' energy from sodium hydroxide

Don't understand why we need air quotes here.

by using some TEGs to create electricity from the heat of the reaction,

I'd like to see the definition of the acronym here.

since it is an exothermic reaction. I wanted the bubbler because I'm pretty sure running the smoke/steam through it would change it in to some chemical. That way it could give electricity while giving another chemical for further use.

I'm looking forward to more of this as well.

Offline MU4L

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:38:55 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought you would actually read the forum rules, and understand what I meant.

I did read the forum rules. You didn't make it clear when you said that. I didn't know if you wanted me to post a video, attempt to do something, etc.

This isn't a kiddie, gee-wiz what can I do next, basement bomber site.  We want you to learn things, and build from that knowledge.

Sounds good.

and also releases chlorine and hydrogen gas.

No.  It only releases one of those.  Often, when a new user arrives, we ask them to write a balanced chemical reaction, to show us they understand the first principles of chemistry, before they get hints on aggressive exothermic reaction's for power generation.  I'd like to see you do that now, so we can see where you think the chlorine gas comes from.

Whoops. I got that mixed up with the electrolysis of salt water. It releases hydrogen and chlorine gas while producing sodium hydroxide. No apostrophe used for something plural, by the way.

For the project I am planning on 'extracting' energy from sodium hydroxide

Don't understand why we need air quotes here.

It is used sometimes in the approach of not looking at a word or phrase directly. Lots of people do that ...

by using some TEGs to create electricity from the heat of the reaction,

I'd like to see the definition of the acronym here.

Thermoelectric generator.

since it is an exothermic reaction. I wanted the bubbler because I'm pretty sure running the smoke/steam through it would change it in to some chemical. That way it could give electricity while giving another chemical for further use.

I'm looking forward to more of this as well.

I'll try. I came here for a simple answer, I'm sure you know it, so why not just tell me?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:12:40 PM by MU4L »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »
@MU4L
I'm sure you know it, so why not just tell me

I think the fellow members are trying to teach you how to find the answer for yourself using chemistry knowledge which can be developed using the Socratic method of teaching.
If you want to be spoon fed why not GOOGLE your question.

Alternatively, you can GOOGLE and come back with what you think is the answer and why you think it is the answer and we will comment and assist in your understanding.

Offline MU4L

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
@MU4L
I'm sure you know it, so why not just tell me

I think the fellow members are trying to teach you how to find the answer for yourself using chemistry knowledge which can be developed using the Socratic method of teaching.
If you want to be spoon fed why not GOOGLE your question.

Alternatively, you can GOOGLE and come back with what you think is the answer and why you think it is the answer and we will comment and assist in your understanding.

I have GOOGLED it and I came back with nothing. That is why I took the time to make an account on this forum and ask a question that most likely every member knows but they can't answer me because I need to "learn some things" and then they send me right back to Google. I have searched multiple times and still have nothing. Not too many people plan on mixing aluminum and sodium hydroxide and putting the smoke/steam through a bubbler. I shall look again but I doubt I will get any usable output.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
I have GOOGLED it and I came back with nothing. That is why I took the time to make an account on this forum and ask a question that most likely every member knows but they can't answer me because I need to "learn some things" and then they send me right back to Google. I have searched multiple times and still have nothing. Not too many people plan on mixing aluminum and sodium hydroxide and putting the smoke/steam through a bubbler. I shall look again but I doubt I will get any usable output.

I don't blame you, Google results can be daunting when you don't know what you're looking for.  However, your statement is very common, "I've looked everywhere and no one (not too many, nothing recent, or something to that effect) ..."  And in this case, like so many other times, its simply not true.  You have described a very common reaction used in drain cleaners, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide#Reaction_with_amphoteric_metals_and_oxides

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »

I have GOOGLED it and I came back with nothing. That is why I took the time to make an account on this forum and ask a question that most likely every member knows but they can't answer me because I need to "learn some things" and then they send me right back to Google.

Can you explain why I should help you? Are you paying me?

Offline MU4L

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »
I don't blame you, Google results can be daunting when you don't know what you're looking for.  However, your statement is very common, "I've looked everywhere and no one (not too many, nothing recent, or something to that effect) ..."  And in this case, like so many other times, its simply not true.  You have described a very common reaction used in drain cleaners, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide#Reaction_with_amphoteric_metals_and_oxides

I couldn't find much there .. Although, I read somewhere that the smoke/steam is sodium hydroxide vapor, and I just found something about someone putting aluminum soda cans in sodium hydroxide and then running the smoke/steam through a bubbler to, "capture the water vapor and any suspended NaOH." I think this may be correct ... Will it capture the excess sodium hydroxide leaving me with a very low concentration of sodium hydroxide in the bubbler?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 03:10:54 AM »
I couldn't find much there

Huh? Arckon linked to a section which contains reaction equation being an exact answer to the question from the thread subject. To make things easier for you it is the only reaction equation there.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MU4L

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
I couldn't find much there

Huh? Arckon linked to a section which contains reaction equation being an exact answer to the question from the thread subject. To make things easier for you it is the only reaction equation there.

So sodium aluminate and hydrogen (I already knew hydrogen would be generated)?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
Yes, aluminate (whatever its exact formula is).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links