April 23, 2024, 06:46:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can Ge2+ reduce Ag+?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline bmu123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can Ge2+ reduce Ag+?
« on: January 08, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
So I've been asked to show that Pb2+ and Sn2+ can reduce Ag+ to Ag and have done this by working out the EoCell for each reaction and ΔG, which is negative for both and therefore both are capable of reducing Ag+.
The question then asks whether I would expect Ge2+ to be able to reduce Ag+ (without reference to electrode potentials)
I'm a bit stuck on this, I think the answer is yes it would, as Ge2+ is less stable than Ge4+ and therefore is readily oxidised into Ge4+. Do you think this would be the correct answer? Or would I have to compare it to Pb2+ and Sn2+?

Offline unsu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Re: Can Ge2+ reduce Ag+?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
Ge(II) is a strong reducing agent. Check the reduction potentials to see if the reduction of Ag(I) to Ag(0) is possible.

and have done this by working out the EoCell for each reaction and ΔG, which is negative for both and therefore both are capable of reducing Ag+.

I am not sure your calculations are correct.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
Isn't it about trends in the periodic table?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bmu123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
Ah ok sorry, Sn2+ can reduce Ag+ but Pb2+ can't. Is this because the stability of the inert pair increases going down the group, and therefore the stability of the +2 oxidation state increases going down the group as the stability of the +4 oxidation state decreases. So Pb2+ is more stable than Pb4+. However Sn2+ is less stable than Sn4+ and so is able to reduce Ag+. Therefore Ge2+ will be less stable than Sn2+ and will also reduce Ag+

Sponsored Links