March 28, 2024, 08:49:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enzyme kinetics-velocity help  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Rohini

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enzyme kinetics-velocity help
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »
So experimentally I changed the substrate concentration and measured the absorbance for the reaction (after adding enzyme and stopping the reaction after 10 minutes) but from this I am unsure as to how to work out the velocity of the reaction, so that I can determine Km and Vmax. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Enzyme kinetics-velocity help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »
You appear to have done an end-point or stop-time assay.  You need more information than you have provided so far.  At the very least, you would need to have done this experiment multiple times at different concentrations of substrate.  If you want to calculate velocities in micro moles per minute (my preference, but not always necessary), then you will need additional information about the experiment.  Finally, it is a forum rule that you show an attempt first, then we help you.

Offline Rohini

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Sorry, yes, I measured the absorbance at different concentrations of PNP (the substrate) and I'm trying to plot graph for the Substrate Concentration vs. Velocity. So I can use it to plot the Lineweaver-Burk plot to calculate the Km, but what additional information would I need to calculate the micromole/minute/ml?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
How well do you understand Beer's law?  Can you write out the key mathematal equation for us?

Sponsored Links