March 29, 2024, 04:25:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pleas *delete me* similarities in stoichiometry (solid & solution)  (Read 2449 times)

Offline s23

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

I've a question which I'm making a presentation about it, and it's very important to me, so I appreciate your help.

What are the similarities between stoichiometry of reactions that start with solid reactants, and solution stoichiometry?

These are what I have in mind:
1. In both stoichiometry we have to start with a balanced chemical equation.
2. In both stoichiometry, we can find the mass amount of reactants and products.
3. The key unit used in both is MOLE! so conversion to mole is the common path.
4. In both, we can identify limiting reactant, and calculate theoretical,actual, & percent of yeild.

Could you give me a feedback or add anything that I'm missing please?
Do I have to talk about different kinds of reactions in solutions??

can't wait to hear back from anyone willing to help..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Pleas *delete me* similarities in stoichiometry (solid & solution)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:27 AM »
I don't get the question - there is no difference in stoichiometry between reactions taking place between solids and in solutions.

There are practical differences in gaining the same yield though - making solids reacts to the end is quite difficult, as they react only on the surface.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline s23

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »
I don't get the question - there is no difference in stoichiometry between reactions taking place between solids and in solutions.

There are practical differences in gaining the same yield though - making solids reacts to the end is quite difficult, as they react only on the surface.

One difference is that we work with "mass" in solid problems, and with "volume" in solutions.
But since I'm looking for similarities, that would be the conversion to mole which is in common in both  type of problems.
I want to know if there are other similarities that I'm missing.

Thanks so much!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
One difference is that we work with "mass" in solid problems, and with "volume" in solutions.
But since I'm looking for similarities, that would be the conversion to mole which is in common in both  type of problems.

As you have correctly pointed out, in both cases we deal with amount of substance. It be measured by different means, but in the end it boils down to the number of moles, so it is the same thing - there is no difference ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links