April 23, 2024, 05:21:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inert Atmosphere?  (Read 3167 times)

stablestp

Inert Atmosphere?
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »
So I have a lab that I have to make up and I'm not sure what these instructions mean in the booklet. "Under inert atmosphere a solution of 3.2 g HCl in 200ml H20 is heated until 85C, then 12g of potassium sulfide is added and the mixture is stirred for 3 min". I found some videos how to create an inert atmosphere in a small beaker with a nitrogen balloon to "flush" out the air, but how do I keep the inert atmosphere while heating the solution and then adding a powdered liquid to it? How would I add the powder and still keep the whole thing under inert atmosphere, I can't use a syringe right?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Inert Atmosphere?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:32:24 AM »
What is the topic of this lab practical?  What reaction are you going to perform, after you've complete the inorganic reaction under inert atmosphere?  These are questions you can ask your university professor, or the teaching assistant.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

stablestp

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »
Can you please explain this to me? I'm very socially anxious and speaking up in class is very difficult for me. They would explain to the class and it just goes in one ear and out the other, the compounds are not exactly what I mentioned, but the lab involves this "inert atmosphere" and I would like to know how this is achieevd if were talking about more the aquious solutions.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »
I suppose the title virtually answers the question. What components in the atmosphere can result in a chemical reaction?

The degree to which these reactions are a concern can motivate one to exclude them, hence inert atmosphere. Here are some examples. Solutions of NaOH lose their titer, ethers form peroxides, benzaldehyde forms benzoic acid, and acetyl chloride forms HCl and acetic acid if exposed to air. What causes these reactions? Those are the most common reactants in air. What are the reactions? I would expect that using an inert atmosphere is to exclude one or all of them.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
One option is to use a glove box like this one:

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Or maybe add the reagents using a system using an equalizing funnel like shown in the image below:

stablestp

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »
Thank you curiouscat!! That was exactly what I was looking for, I never knew exactly what that box with sleeves was there for. There's one in my lab just like that. Appreciate everyones help.

Sponsored Links