April 28, 2024, 11:04:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with comparing and explaining loss of oxygen between Ti2O3 and Ga2O3  (Read 2583 times)

Offline poonilization

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
http://i.gyazo.com/7fdf2ebcfdc0161c59258241f1964db4.png

I'm not sure how to answer party iv) in this question, any help would be appreciated.

The only thing i can think of is going across the period the atomic radii decrease in size. So Ti is a larger atom than Ga, Ti forms longer and weaker bonds compared to Ga, therefore its easier to break those bonds and lose the oxygen.

But i dont think it's that simple. There must be more to this question.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
The question asks about thallium, not titanium. Basic piece of advice, always read the question carefully!
What do you know about the relative stability of the N and N-2 oxidation states going down a group?

Offline poonilization

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Oh gosh, you're right i need to read questions more carefully!

Is this question to do with the inert pair effect? Tl prefers to form the +1 oxidation state so will readily loses oxygen on heating to go from +3 to +1 oxidation state.
Ga favours +3 oxidation state and therefore doesn't lose oxygen on heating.

Edit: never mind that doesn't make sense , just having a look through my notes to see if i can find something to answer this question.

Ok to answer your question, as you go down the group the stability of the N-2 oxidation state increases. So in this case, Ga prefer +3 oxidation state, however as you go down the group, Tl prefers the +1 oxidation state.

Offline unsu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Tl prefers to form the +1 oxidation state so will readily loses oxygen on heating to go from +3 to +1 oxidation state

Same happens to lead: 2PbO2  :rarrow: 2PbO + O2 (heating)

Ga prefer +3 oxidation state, however as you go down the group, Tl prefers the +1 oxidation state.

This is correct. Now try to explain what causes the relative "inertness" of the 6s2 electrons. Compare the chemical properties and stabilities of Tl, Pb, Bi with the other elements in the corresponding groups.

Sponsored Links