April 23, 2024, 12:59:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of (S)-2-iodobutane  (Read 2723 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Synthesis of (S)-2-iodobutane
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
A substitution rxn with tosylated (R)-butan-2-ol with NaI would probably not work since iodide ions are excellent leaving groups. The initially formed (S)-2-iodobutane would therefore be more reactive than the tosylated alcohol and subsequent substitutions would take place and we would get a racemic mixture as a result.

Are there any better methods aviable? Or is the best choise to stick with the racemate and try to separate it (and maybe racemize the (R)-2-iodobutane again and do another separation tp increase the yield)?
Undergraduate student majoring in chemistry and mathematics. Former IChO participant.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Synthesis of (S)-2-iodobutane
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
I would try the substitution of tosylate. It should be simple and might work, by adjusting reaction conditions, you might get no further substitution

Offline critzz

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »
How about the Appel reaction? R-OH + PPh3 + I2 + imidazole  :rarrow: R-I
Or R-OH + PPh3 + CI4  :rarrow: R-I
It also inverts the stereocenter.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
Thank you both of you! I will take a look at the alternative reactions.

I would try the substitution of tosylate. It should be simple and might work, by adjusting reaction conditions, you might get no further substitution
Are there any certain conditions that you would try? Maybe we somehow can make use of the fact that the ioidated product has different solubility properties than the tosylate?
Undergraduate student majoring in chemistry and mathematics. Former IChO participant.

Sponsored Links