April 26, 2024, 02:17:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why does reduction not go to completion with LiAlH4  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Acadasol

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why does reduction not go to completion with LiAlH4
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:13 PM »
I have tried to reduce a cyclic amide (Lactame) with LiAlH4 and at all the time, I have repeatedly gotten yield of 58%. Does anyone have an idea as to why the reduction doesn't got to completion with LiAlH4? Thanks!

Offline Syrnyk

Re: Why does reduction not go to completion with LiAlH4
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
Since LiAlH4 is a reducing agent for amides, it should successfully reduce your Lactam group in theory. Given your 58% yield, it sounds to me like some type of reaction occurred, but side reactions also occurred. Perhaps a procedural step was the issue, as you did not clarify the process that you used to perform your reduction. For instance, did you correctly perform an acid work up with your solution, presumably dissolved in diethyl ether?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:40:36 AM »
Your product will be an amino alcohol. This may well react with LiAlH4 and reduce it's reducing ability. Much like treating LiAlH4 with tert-butanol to modify its reactivity.
Try the reaction at reflux.
Try adding more LiAlH4.
Try a different reducing agent.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Acadasol

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:37:15 AM »
Since LiAlH4 is a reducing agent for amides, it should successfully reduce your Lactam group in theory. Given your 58% yield, it sounds to me like some type of reaction occurred, but side reactions also occurred. Perhaps a procedural step was the issue, as you did not clarify the process that you used to perform your reduction. For instance, did you correctly perform an acid work up with your solution, presumably dissolved in diethyl ether?

In the reference paper, confidentially, the yield was also 58%. So, I was thinking perhaps LiAlH4 couldn't reduce all of the starting material. I worked the reaction up by gradually dropping crystals of NaSO4 into the reaction mixture to evolve hydrogen gas. And the organic layer was separated with diethyl ether. My product is a cyclic amine. Is it possible that some of the spots that I get reduce the reducing ability of LiAlH4

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
In my opinion, the mechanism suggests a difficulty in this reaction. The problem as I see it is that it is difficult to eliminate the oxygen. It must come out as an aluminum oxide. As I recall, typically procedures use an incremental addition of LAH and the yields are never as high as ketone or ester reductions.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
I tried to reduce macrocyclic amide to amine by LiAlH4 and it didnt work at all. After literature search, I found out that others had same problem reducing very similar compound using LiAlH4, BH3 etc.. about 5 reducing agent tried and none of those worked.

Offline Acadasol

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »
Your product will be an amino alcohol. This may well react with LiAlH4 and reduce it's reducing ability. Much like treating LiAlH4 with tert-butanol to modify its reactivity.
Try the reaction at reflux.
Try adding more LiAlH4.
Try a different reducing agent.

My product is actually an amine. The CO was reduced to CHI with 2 equivalent LiAlH4

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
CHI? you mean CH2?

It doesnt mean anything, some aminoalcohol still can be formed and reduce the reactivity of LAH. DO you know what are the other products (the rest 40%)?

Offline Acadasol

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 10:30:05 AM »
CHI? you mean CH2?

It doesnt mean anything, some aminoalcohol still can be formed and reduce the reactivity of LAH. DO you know what are the other products (the rest 40%)?

Yes, I meant methylene. That was a typo. Meanwhile, I didn't collect the other product. But, there were other spots.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:42 AM »
With 40% of other products it would be worth isolating them and finding out what they are. It may help you understand what is going on in this reaction.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
try using a lewis acid and a cryptand.

Offline k1mng

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
Hey Acadasol, sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory yields... even the most reliable reactions can sometimes give us crappy results... For context can you perhaps show us what you're trying to reduce so that the issue can be troubleshooted and solutions given from an informed perspective?  :)

Sponsored Links