March 28, 2024, 02:44:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Collision theory and the rate laws  (Read 2423 times)

Offline noor123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Collision theory and the rate laws
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »
How does the collision theory explain the rate laws for complex or consecutive reactions?

I know that the collision theory is about how for instance the increase in conc. of reactants lead to more successful collisions and thus making the rxn faster, or also change in temperature or pressure can have its effect. And since complex reactions can have several intermediates, can increasing the concentration of reactants of the first reaction lead to making the intermediates more faster and thus the products aswell?

Am i thinking on the right way?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Collision theory and the rate laws
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what the question is.

Chemical kinetics remains a very empirical or semi-empirical discipline. First principles approaches like collision theory are successful to some degree, but applying them to even simple reactions can be anything but straightforward. Complex reactions are... well, complex.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
Another approach would be to treat only the elementary reactions in a detailed way. then describe the whole mechanism in a phenomenological one.

Offline Plontaj

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
Another approach would be to treat only the elementary reactions in a detailed way. then describe the whole mechanism in a phenomenological one.

It must be kept in mind that there are possibilities to develop a detailed mechanism but its exact verification may be impossible to do. The applied combustion hydrocarbons mechanisms have been verified based on the macro values eg. flame speed. No one says that GRI mech 3.0 is 100% correct.

Additional problem of nowadays is real process simulation with consideration a detailed chemical mechanism and a physical phenomena (convection, diffusion, thermodiffusion, dynamic of fluid). There aren't such strong CPUs in the world to carry on this simulation (or maybe are :) ).

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
but its exact verification may be impossible to do

you can argue that that's always impossible. but that's not the question here, as I understand it.

Sponsored Links