April 25, 2024, 09:36:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: peroxide free ether  (Read 7023 times)

Offline apv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
peroxide free ether
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »
I have been searching for information about have much sodium hydroxide you will add to have much diethyl ether but in vain, in my search I fell over this:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo01090a636

But first thing first anyone have any experience with ether storage and how much NaOH/KOH or whatever you use compared to have must ether?

And now in addition to the article, well how i get it 20 ml of ether is run through a column containing 4g of dowex 1 in the hydroxyl form.
I seem to remember previously reading about something like this before.
As i recall a solution of 5% NaOH and Water is run through dowex 1 and in doing so prepares it in the hydroxyl form is that true and if so have much resin compared to the solution.

Any answers is greatly appreciated

Apv

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: peroxide free ether
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
Your question is hard to follow, and you will get better answers with better pretext.  Are you asking if sodium hydroxide will quench peroxides? form them?

Offline apv

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
how much potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide, will you store diethyl ether over

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
Here is another reference.  monsterous link{click}    Sorry for the monster link.  Briefly, these chemical methods for peroxide remediation in ethers don't work well enough to make any regulatory body happy, and aren't needed if you're properly handling ether.  Everyone learned these tricks in basic organic chem, and no one executes them, because we can't be sure they'll work in every case.  These sorts of things are best left to professional waste handlers.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline apv

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:20:19 AM »
thanks for the link

Sponsored Links