March 29, 2024, 06:42:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide and Radicals  (Read 2190 times)

Offline MangoPlant

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Hydrogen Peroxide and Radicals
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Hi all, this is more of a thought I had than a question. I know hydrogen peroxide can be a source of radicals, but does it produce radicals on its own? For example, if I place 30% hydrogen peroxide in a beaker and place some graphite in that beaker, will the hydrogen peroxide form radicals that attack the copper? Or is some other chemical like an acid needed to be added to form radicals to oxidize the graphite?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Radicals
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:44 PM »
Briefly, graphite is fairly non-reactive chemically to oxidizing acids.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite#Expanded_graphite
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MangoPlant

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
Graphite can be dissolved if hydrogen peroxide is mixed with sulfuric acid although I am not sure of the mechanism. This is why I was wondering whether hydrogen peroxide by itself is sufficient to form hydroxyl radicals or whether the sulfuric acid is necessary to form the radicals or whether the oxidation mechanism is entirely different.. Basically I was just wondering whether a solution of 30% hydrogen peroxide will produce oxygen radicals on its own or whether something else need be added (like heat or another reagent)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
Graphite can be dissolved if hydrogen peroxide is mixed with sulfuric acid although I am not sure of the mechanism. This is why I was wondering whether hydrogen peroxide by itself is sufficient to form hydroxyl radicals or whether the sulfuric acid is necessary to form the radicals or whether the oxidation mechanism is entirely different.. Basically I was just wondering whether a solution of 30% hydrogen peroxide will produce oxygen radicals on its own or whether something else need be added (like heat or another reagent)

Probably not, it produces radicals when metals are present
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenton%27s_reagent

Sponsored Links