April 20, 2024, 07:27:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is such a medicine theoretically possible?  (Read 1900 times)

DarkSerena

Is such a medicine theoretically possible?
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
Good morning, I happened to have a few questions about chemistry and I thought I could search for an expert's opinion about it. I would like to warn you that I am not a chemist nor a scientist of any kind, and that I don't have any further knowledge about chemistry than high school education.

I am an author, and I am planning to write a science fiction novel about drugs. What I am about to ask is going to be entirely fictional, and therefore it doesn't have to be entirely "real". I just need your help to make it as "realistic" as possible; I don't want to be blackmailed by chemists around the world, so I would be really pleased if what I write was at least theoretically possible. Thank you for you patience.

Ok, now the question:
Is it possible to create a drug that
1) Noticeably enhances the immune system and restrains the symptoms of AIDS.
2) Has slight nootropic effects and increases tolerance to physiological stress.
3) Can be used as a strong analgesic, in a similar fashion to opioids. Functionally to the plot, it should possibly give addiction and heavy side effects.

My best guess was this: it is my knowledge that our dna has a lot of superabundant genes that are somehow "turned off". Maybe, the correct inducement can make them active again to produce proteines that would activate the aforementioned effects.

However, I really don't know... this might be a giant heap of crap. Please, be constructive with me.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Is such a medicine theoretically possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
1) You mean like drug vs AIDS? There are several that blocks the viral enzymes so you can live basicaly normal life but you can get rid of the virus. CHeck Tenofovir on Wiki or work done by Antonin Holy Eric DeClerq and others. I think Gilead Sciences started with those compounds

2) There are compounds that do that

3) There are compounds that do that too.

Im not realy sure if all those properties can be fit into single molecule,  honestly I dont think so. It would neet to target several different receptors/enzymes etc with different structure so it would  be IMO almost impossible. However, It could be a mixture of compounds. Does it realy have to be single compound?
Is your novel science fiction or todays setting or anything else?
Did you reead Dune? If not the go for it because similar compound is the basicaly centre of the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melange_(fictional_drug)
its addictive
it enhances your sences in the way that you can navigate ships via space without computer
and it gives you crazy creepy blue sclera

Sponsored Links