April 19, 2024, 05:02:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: starting from scratch  (Read 3754 times)

Offline wakka

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
starting from scratch
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:58:48 PM »
is there a site that offers tutorials for beginners that cover all the basics and fundamentals that works into getting alittle more complicated?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:starting from scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
You mean for chemistry?

What type of chemistry? What level? What country/language?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline wakka

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:32 PM »
yeah chemistry... i'm trying to learn about it but everywhere i look it's like you need an undergrad to understand what the hell theyre talking about... uhh im looking for something in english.. im taking grade 11 chem right now and im doing mediocrely... and i have a terrible teacher. the thing is i wanna go into university chem and physics and it's like i have no where to start.. school is a f&#^$*@ useless waste of time, and an ineffective way of teaching. at least where i am.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:15 PM »
Grade 11 chemistry is probably quite general chemistry so it should not be difficult to find information on each topic as it is covered. Do you have a text book? Usually the general chemistry text books that go with the course are a good resource. If this, along with the teachers notes are not sufficient then I would suggest searching the internet for information on each topic as you are covering it. For example if you are about to cover organic nomenclature I would search for infomation under this topic and read the ones that are at your level. You can then ask questions when you get stumped, at this forum.

Another idea is too check the educational frameworks for your country/state/city. Usually a country will have a standard for years 11 and 12 subjects that outlines exactly all of the topics that need to be covered (even if not in great detail it will give you an idea of what you are supposed to know by the time you finish).

Good luck.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links