April 23, 2024, 10:25:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH variation in an acid solution  (Read 2714 times)

Offline antonioo1995

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
pH variation in an acid solution
« on: February 04, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »
Hi everybody, I'm not American ( Australian, English etc   >:D) so sorry if something sounds strange

So guys I have this exercise :

Say, giving explanation , how the pH of an acidic aqueous solution varies for the addition of :
a) water ; b ) KCN ; c ) Sodium chloride ; d ) an aqueous solution of sodium sulfate .

I would like to understand, first of all, how to know if an acid or a base are strong or weak . Is there a more practical way to understand that, not memorizing all the different Ka of all compounds on earth ?  ::) How can I know, for example, if a chemical element is the conjugate acid of a strong base if I don't know if the element itself is a strong or weak acid ?

And if you work out the exercise with all the steps I would be so thankful to you  :) ( please explain me also why water decreases or rises the concentration of H+ in solution)  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pH variation in an acid solution
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
Learn the list of strong acids and bases (it is not that long). Everything else is weak.

You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline antonioo1995

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
I've studied that list and tried to do the exercise but I still don't manage to understand a few things, like for example why sodium solfate solo does not influence the pH while H2O does...please  I really need an explanation

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »
OK, you still have some work to do organizing your question.  How concentrated of a solution of sodium sulfate?  How much of a pH difference between plain water and an aqueous solution?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline antonioo1995

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »
What do you mean? Do you need extra data? Unfortunately the exercise does not give other information  :-\, but that should not be a problem cause it's just asking to make a prediction, not requiring the precise amount of pH formed  :)
But if you don't wanna work out the exercise not problem...just explain me what I've asked in the last reply please  ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »
Why do you think addition of sodium sulfate doesn't change pH of the solution? First, it will dilute the solution just like pure water does, second, it will change ionic strength of the solution (no idea if you were already taught about the latter).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline antonioo1995

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:22:20 AM »
   Cause the answer says: " Sodium sulfate has no effect , but by addition of the solution the concentration of H+ decreases "  :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:09:25 AM by antonioo1995 »

Sponsored Links