April 29, 2024, 12:44:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation Number and Ionic/Covalency  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Brian Lin

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Oxidation Number and Ionic/Covalency
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
Hi!

I have a question about the trends between high oxidative numbers and covalent character. In bonds where the transition metal has a high oxidative number like 7+ or 8+, the bonds are supposed to be covalent, instead of ionic. Lower oxidative numbers tend to be ionic.

However, I am not sure about the reason of these trends. Is it because high oxidative numbers have smaller atomic radii, resulting in shorter bonds, and hence, a covalent bond?

For smaller oxidative charge, the radii is larger, resulting in farther bonds and ionic character. However, what does not make sense is that the change in oxidative numbers in the transition metals result in slight change in atomic radii, so radii can't be a significant contributor to change in bond character (Am I wrong about this?)

What is the cause to this change in bonding character from low oxidation number to oxidation number?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Oxidation Number and Ionic/Covalency
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
What else changes with oxidation number, in an ionic model?

Offline Brian Lin

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
Zeff charge increases so Pauling electrongetivity difference is smaller? Is that a correct explanation then?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
No need to get so complicated. Charge. M+, M2+, M3+ etc. Suppose MnO4- consisted of a bare Mn7+ ion surrounded by four O2- ions. What would you expect to happen?

Offline Brian Lin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »
Mn 7+ and the O atoms will not dissociate of course since they are bonded together by covalent bonds. But even if you consider charge, it seems as if the bond is ionic (I know that it's not) because a high charge seems as if A LOT of electrons are donated to the O atoms by Mn.

Im not sure how charge can affect it, I think I am missing something else about the charge.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »
Mn 7+ and the O atoms will not dissociate of course since they are bonded together by covalent bonds
No they aren't. I'm asking you what would happen in the ionic case - Mn7+ surrounded by four O2-, not covalently bonded. What would happen to the outer electrons of the O2- ions?

Sponsored Links