April 24, 2024, 06:27:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is Gold Soft??  (Read 4071 times)

Coeus

Why is Gold Soft??
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:06 PM »
I was wondering why is gold soft when metallic bonding is supposed to get stronger when the atoms are able to distribute more electrons?

Edit: Nevermind, if anyone was wondering this site explained it very well (it's also the only site that explained it at all that I could find)

https://khabibkhumaini.wordpress.com/2009/02/05/relativity-phenomenon-why-is-mercury-liquid-and-gold-soft/

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Why is Gold Soft??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
You can forget the linked explanation. First, the author hasn't understood the screening effect nor several more, he didn't check other elements for obvious counter-examples, and second, hardness is not an atomic property, since it fully depends on alloying.

(Many!) Other authors would like to relate hardness with the crystal structure, but this doesn't work at all. The appended table shows there is no relationship.

Ductility relates fully with the ease of propagation of dislocations, which has very little relation with simple chemical properties of the atoms. For instance, just 0.05% of H or N make steel harder and more brittle, and so does 0.2% C. Even less O acts on Be or Ti.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Why is Gold Soft??
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:02 AM »
The appended table was missing, I try to append it here.

Sponsored Links