Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Engineering Forum

How much do practicing chemical engineers really use thermodyamics, etc.?

(1/2) > >>

triethanolamine:
So do practicing chemical engineers really use thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, or even stat mech and quantum mechanics? I'm interested, because from the chemistry side I can say without qualification that the number of chemists, and physical chemists are not an exception, who really understand thermodyanmics is almost zero. They talk it, but it is only hand waving.

triethanolamine:
Are there any practicing chemical engineers on this site? If so please see question above. What you're taught in school and what you do on the job often have little or no connection don't you know.

cap:
As a chemical engineer I've NEVER user thermodynamics. Once when i tried to use it, results were awful.

PS sorry for my poor English

Donaldson Tan:

--- Quote from: cap on April 13, 2006, 07:41:19 AM ---As a chemical engineer I've NEVER user thermodynamics. Once when i tried to use it, results were awful.

PS sorry for my poor English

--- End quote ---

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

babucher:
I am a ChemE and I use thermodynamics.  Whether or not a particular job will require using thermodynamics is highly dependent on the job requirements.  For example, if you need to deal with recycling solvents, predicting the VLE behavior might be important.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version