March 28, 2024, 10:52:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [HS CHEM HW] Scenario Question  (Read 1818 times)

Offline DifferentLights

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
[HS CHEM HW] Scenario Question
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
Okay so I don't really like asking for homework help but I super stuck on this and I don't know how to solve it or write a procedure for it. Hopefully you guys can help me on this hard question :) ! I'd also prefer is someone would walk me through this or just give me hints.

Question: *Cindy has decided that she is very interested in the science of Alchemy. Particularly she would like to be able to take a cheap metal and turn it into silver, gold, and Platinum. Because she has paid some attention in chemistry class she knows that she can accomplish this using a chemical reaction. However, when her teacher was discussing the particular chemical reaction(s) that make this possible, she was tired and "zoned out". Your job is to tell Cindy what type of reaction she needs to perform to accomplish her goals and pick the cheap metal for her to start with and then determine which solutions she should use to turn the metal into silver, platinum, and gold. Additionally, so that Cindy can have her products approved by the government, you need to provide her with a procedure for the transformation process and the balanced chemical equations for each of the three transformations. *

Thanks for the help

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
Re: [HS CHEM HW] Scenario Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
Something doesn't add up here. If a formula for such a transformation was widely taught in chemistry lessons, surely students would all be racing home to build themselves piles of precious metals. When I was at school, we watched a video in a physics lesson which investigated the feasibility of transforming lead into gold. If lead atoms are bombarded with protons and electrons, I believe they can be transformed into gold atoms, but in quantities so minute as to render the expensive process utterly unprofitable. But that's really more the domain of physics than chemistry.

Sponsored Links