April 19, 2024, 08:49:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Identifying an Oxidizing Agent  (Read 3609 times)

Offline pzona69

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Identifying an Oxidizing Agent
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
I've been looking at different reactions a lot lately, just trying to learn some things on my own outside of school, and for some reason I've gotten really interested in redox, specifically oxidation.  When I look at the oxidizing agent in a reaction, a lot of the time it seems like it is or contains an oxoanion (chlorate, permanganate, etc.), but I've seen halogens and peroxides used as well. So I have 2 questions:

1) What makes something an oxidizing agent? I have a decent understanding of the transfer of oxygen atoms, and the loss of electrons, but I'm still not sure about how some compounds (specifically halogens) work that would make them classified as oxidizers.

2) Are all oxoanions oxidizing agents? My guess would be no, since the word "all" is rarely used in terms of chemistry rules.

This isn't for homework, but if someone could give me even a brief answer, or a resource that could help me understand this a little better, I would appreciate it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Identifying an Oxidizing Agent
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Try this, instead of trying to define oxidizing agent, try to think of it as a participant in a red-ox reaction.  The only reason anything is oxidizer is because it's come in contact with a powerful reducing agent.  ::)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links