April 28, 2024, 04:59:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The melting point and solubility of H2 in water  (Read 3566 times)

Offline CoolGuyNice

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The melting point and solubility of H2 in water
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
Hi i'm having a hard time trying to put into words why H2 has the melting it has and its solubility in h20. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could put into words why it has those specific properties.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: The melting point and solubility of H2 in water
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
You have to show your attempts or thoughts at solving the question to receive help.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.

Have you looked at wikipedia and searched using GOOGLE to help your understanding the properties of water and hydrogen?
 I am interested in why you chose solubility of hydrogen in water as one of the discussion points.

Offline CoolGuyNice

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
Sorry, must have skipped over that rule
I'm assuming that due to its low amount of electrons and its non-polarity that the intermolcular bonds it makes through Dispersion forces are short and weak owing to its low melting point but that all i got for melting point. For solubility in H20, i know due to its non-polarity it won't dissolve as fast as a polar solution but im still not sure why it would be lower than other gases

Offline CoolGuyNice

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
Any takers? There's not much good information online

Offline thetada

• Rhyming Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +18/-0
    • Rhyming Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 05:40:01 AM »
I can't give an authoritative answer but these are some points I would consider:

1) how readily can the permanent dipole in the water molecules induce a dipole in the hydrogen molecules?

2) when comparing the solubility of hydrogen to other gases, to what extent does the solubility of those gases reflect their tendency to react with water? Eg: CO2 will become H2CO3, NH3 will become NH4, Cl2 will become HCl and HOCl.

3) Considering qu 2, how feasible is it that H2 could react with water?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Any takers? There's not much good information online

That's disappointing to hear, because our rules state that you're supposed to make an attempt, and while not Googling is a lack of work, a quick Google shouldn't be all the work you attempt.

Sometimes we ask people to check their class notes, or textbook.  But maybe we should take a different tack, in your case.

hard time trying to put into words why H2 has the melting it has

What melting point should hydrogen have, do you think?  What's odd about its melting point?  I'm really asking you, because I don't know the answer.  Or rather, why its a question at all.  Compare with some other gasses, is its melting point higher, or lower than it some others?  And why do you think that's the case.  You've done some good work here.
'm assuming that due to its low amount of electrons and its non-polarity that the intermolcular bonds it makes through Dispersion forces are short and weak owing to its low melting point but that all i got for melting point.

But it looks like you're just throwing buzzwords out there.  Maybe if you compare it do some other gasses, or use the definition of melting point with regard to intermolecular forces, you'll have a definition you can be proud of (and useful on an exam question.)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline CoolGuyNice

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
I get what you're saying but i need to sum the melting point up in a few sentences and relate it back  to bonding. Also, analyzing the melting point of other gases all relate back to the number of electrons which in turn relates back to inter molecular attractions

Sponsored Links