April 19, 2024, 07:54:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What can I study for docotrate ,phd(or master)?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Eng.S H A

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What can I study for docotrate ,phd(or master)?
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
Hi dear friends,

I am studying chemical engineering.I am a sophomore.I am decided to get admission for master or doctorate in the U.S.

No my question is that what can a chemical engineering student study in graduate studies ???

Here are some examples I found:Biotechnology engineering-Nanotechnology-Biomedical engineering

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Re: What can I study for docotrate?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
I believe you will need to narrow the focus much more than that. If you're only in your second year, then your courses should still be fairly general. Once you get into 3rd and 4th year, your courses will become more specialized and from this you will see what areas you are most interested in. Then from this you can look at what professors specialize in this field, and near the end of your undergraduate degree, you can send them heartfelt letters (emails) about your passion for this area and ask if they have any graduate positions (ie funding).

That's how I did it anyway. In my opinion, it makes a big difference going into something you enjoy and are passionate about, rather that just going into a field because the prof has a position open.
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline Eng.S H A

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What can I study for docotrate?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
I believe you will need to narrow the focus much more than that. If you're only in your second year, then your courses should still be fairly general. Once you get into 3rd and 4th year, your courses will become more specialized and from this you will see what areas you are most interested in. Then from this you can look at what professors specialize in this field, and near the end of your undergraduate degree, you can send them heartfelt letters (emails) about your passion for this area and ask if they have any graduate positions (ie funding).

That's how I did it anyway. In my opinion, it makes a big difference going into something you enjoy and are passionate about, rather that just going into a field because the prof has a position open.
Yes!That is exactly what I want to find:Which fields I am interested in?! But I do not know how to do it.as an example ,we have heat transfer this semester,but we study some stuff and solve some problems.so how should  I find whether I like it or not  ?
wha do you suggerst to do for knowing more about each field and relating issues of???

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
Re: What can I study for docotrate ,phd(or master)?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »
Something I've found useful is looking at the research webpages of the larger universities to see what work is being done is specific areas. For example, MIT has a webpage devoted to each graduate research group they offer. Once you see a subject there that might interest you, read more about it in your university's database.
I assume that you will also be doing undergraduate research of some form over the next two years, so that will help you establish your interests, too.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Sponsored Links