April 27, 2024, 02:34:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: C. E. Housecroft and A. G. Sharpe  (Read 6299 times)

Offline shafaifer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
C. E. Housecroft and A. G. Sharpe
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
Can anybody put up a link on this thread referring to a website on which a purchase of C. E. Housecroft and A. G. Sharpe's Studen't Solution Manual 4th ed, Inorganic Chemistry can be conducted? So far I have found no results for 4th edition - only for 3th, which I would be willing to buy if none of us can find a link. I just hope the exercises in 3th ed. and 4th ed. are equal :)

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
Re: C. E. Housecroft and A. G. Sharpe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
Could only find these editions:

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Manual-Inorganic-Chemistry-3e/dp/0132048493/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426155940&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Solutions+Manual+Inorganic+Chemistry+Housecroft+Constable

http://www.amazon.com/Inorganic-Chemistry-Solutions-Manual-4r-e/dp/0582310849/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426155940&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Solutions+Manual+Inorganic+Chemistry+Housecroft+Constable

Is it perhaps not out yet? I see the 4th edition text is out but not the Solutions Manual. My experience has been that there are usually only minor revisions/editions from one edition to the next, so 3rd edition could still have value and most of the same problem solutions, and buying a used on at $4.24 USD would not be not a huge loss.
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline shafaifer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:48 AM »
Could only find these editions:

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Manual-Inorganic-Chemistry-3e/dp/0132048493/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426155940&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Solutions+Manual+Inorganic+Chemistry+Housecroft+Constable

http://www.amazon.com/Inorganic-Chemistry-Solutions-Manual-4r-e/dp/0582310849/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426155940&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Solutions+Manual+Inorganic+Chemistry+Housecroft+Constable

Is it perhaps not out yet? I see the 4th edition text is out but not the Solutions Manual. My experience has been that there are usually only minor revisions/editions from one edition to the next, so 3rd edition could still have value and most of the same problem solutions, and buying a used on at $4.24 USD would not be not a huge loss.

Thank you, no, I don't think it is out yet.

Offline shafaifer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
I am not sure if your last link belong to the desired series, neither am I uncertain about your first link to the 3rd edition because I cannot find the name of A. G. Sharpe or Alan G. Sharpe.

Offline Furanone

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-2
  • Actually more a Food Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Sharpe is listed on the 3rd edition text, and it has the same cover as the solutions manual, so maybe he did not contribute to the solutions manual. I'm not sure why he's not listed on it to be honest..

http://www.amazon.com/Inorganic-Chemistry-3rd-Catherine-Housecroft/dp/0131755536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426157301&sr=8-1&keywords=Inorganic+Chemistry+alan+sharpe
"The true worth of an experimenter consists in pursuing not only what he seeks in his experiment, but also what he did not seek."

--Sir William Bragg (1862 - 1942)

Offline shafaifer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:55:37 AM »
Nevertheless, the loss it not great, thank you.

Offline shafaifer

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »
At the final purchasing step on the first listed website I can see a price around 36 USD (speed shipment and I live in Denmark). I just want to know if all of the exercises contained within 4th edition are included in the 3rd edition. If exceptions, I don't hope the chapter with organometallic chemistry (chapter 24 in 4th ed.) is involved as the exercises in that chapter seem most difficult to me.

Thanks! 

Offline unsu

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 06:50:16 PM »
The 4th edition has "Inorganic Chemistry Matters" problems in each chapter. If you buy the solutions manual for the 3rd ed. you will miss that.
PS the solutions manual is a great reference for self-check but be careful. I found some incorrect solutions there. For example, there was a problem about the Frost diagram for chlorine and manganese, some explanations and conclusions were wrong (which species are stronger oxidizing agents must be based on the slope connecting two species in the redox couple not how high they are on the diagram.). Also, there was an ionic equation written with H+ but it was supposed to be written for the basic medium. Maybe everything else is fine!  ::)
It is my favourite textbook but it really takes time to understand the concepts... Not easy to read, it resembles Chem. Review in one book.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:06:09 PM by unsu »

Sponsored Links