April 29, 2024, 07:02:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Please help, gr11 chem, reactivity series lab  (Read 5171 times)

VEN

Please help, gr11 chem, reactivity series lab
« on: April 09, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »
Hi Guys, we were doing a lab in chem the other day and every body got different results so i came home and decided to start from scratch using the reactivity series table, here is the lab:

Reactivity Series Lab

Purpose: To develop an activity series of metals

Hypothesis: Rank the following metals, Cu, H, Ca, Na, K, Zn, Al, Fe, Mg, in order of increasing reactivity.

Materials:
1.0M HCl   Distilled Water
6 Test Tubes   Test Tube Holder
1.0M CuSO4   1.0M MgSO4
Cu tacks   Mg fillings
Mossy Zn   Steel Wool (Fe)
Calcium pellets   Aluminum wire (Al)
Universal Indicator   Funnel
Wooden splint   Bunsen burner

Procedure:

1. Obtain 6 clean test tubes that have been rinsed with distilled water.
2. Obtain 50ml of CuSO4, 50ml of MgSO4, and 100ml of distilled water in separate, clean, 250ml beakers.
3. Label each of the test tubes, one for each of the metals bolded above.
4. Obtain a small amount of each of the six metals and place them into the appropriate test tube.
5. Using a funnel, add approximately 5ml of distilled water to each test tube (5ml is the width of two fingers). Observe your results. If a reaction occurs, cover the mouth of the test tube with a rubber stopped. This should trap the gas.
6. Obtain a lighted splint. Remove the rubber stopper from the test tube and place the flame to the mouth of the test tube. Observe any results.
7. As well, add 3 drops of universal indicator to any test tube that has a reaction (after you do the splint test) and record your observations.
8. In the results table place an R for any reaction that occurred and an NR for no reaction.
9. Discard all water but keep the left over material. You will use the same piece of metal again, only get more of any metal you have run out of.
10. Repeat steps 5-10 but this time use HCl instead of water. (do not do step 7 again)
11. Once you have finished with the HCl rinse your left over metal and each test tube with distilled water. Using a funnel add approximately 5ml of CuSO4 to each test tube and observe your results.
12. Discard the remaining CuSO4 and repeat step 11 with MgSO4.
13. Discard the remaining MgSO4 and return any unused metal to the teacher.
14. Observe the teacher test K and Na with H2O at the front of the class

H+ in H2O   H+ in acid   Cu2+ in CuSO4   Mg2+ in MgSO4   Splint test   Universal Indicator
Cu2+   N.R.               N.R.            N.R.                  N.R.              N.R.   
Mg2+   N.R.                R                      R                    N.R.           R with H+ in acid   
Fe2+   N.R.                 R                     R                    N.R.           R with H+ in acid   
Al3+   N.R.                  R               R                     N.R.            R with H+ in acid   
Zn2+   N.R.                 R                    R                    N.R.         R with H+ in acid   
Ca2+   R                  R                R                      R              R with H+ in H2O and H+ in acid   
Na+   R                  R                R                      R             R with H+ in H2O and H+ in acid   
K+   R                   R                 R                      R              R with H+ in H2O and H+ in acid

PLEASE tell me if my chart is right   

VEN

Re: Please help, gr11 chem, reactivity series lab
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »
also, can anyone please tell me what the universal indicator would indicate since i didn't have the chance to test this?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re: Please help, gr11 chem, reactivity series lab
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:54:37 AM »
instead of listing the ions of the metals, i think it would be more appropriate to list just the metal, since the metals have an oxidation state of 0 technically.

if there is no protective Al layer (presuming that a thin Al wire was used), then all your results are O.K. :)

as for the universal indicator thing, since metals react with water to form hydroxides, u can expect the colours to be blue (medium strength base) for Cu to Ca, and purple (strong base) for Na and K.
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links