April 19, 2024, 02:38:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what is Chemical factor, how do I use it in this question?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Isiluv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
what is Chemical factor, how do I use it in this question?
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
I am required to analyze a sample prepared in inorganic chemistry, but after going through the outlined steps, I have the following:
Weight of ppt         =
Chemical factor         =   
Concentration in 10 ml      =
Concentration in 1L      =
% of Ni+            =
I have the weight of my precipitate, but I am confused on what chemical factor stand for. I started with 0.2 grams of the prepared salt and the molecular weight of the compound is 394.99, while am to calculate the concentration of Nickel ion in the salt. How do I go about this?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: what is Chemical factor, how do I use it in this question?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:51:32 PM »
I'm afraid we need more context than you have provided, you'll have to ask whoever gave you the sample what they mean.  In analytical chemistry, a factor can mean almost anything, but in the most general terms, its meant to correlate something to something else.  Try a search on this forum for "factor" and see if it helps you understand a little bit better
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Isiluv

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
Thanks for your concern.
The first part was the preparation of double salt- Nickel ammonium sulphate, the next was analyzing the % of each component- Nickel and Sulphate ions. So those were the parameters given as a guide to solving the problem.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »
Well, here's a simple example from a document I'm working with at work right now:

To convert % Chlorine from PIXE to % Sodium Chloride (measured as chlorine) perform the following calculation.

(%Cl PIXE x 58.45)/(35.45) = % Sodium Chloride (measured as chlorine)[/tеx]

where:
58.45 = formula weight of sodium chloride
35.45 = gram atomic weight of chlorine
% Cl = percent chlorine from PIXE

So if you have to do this sort of thing on your own, you have to ask:  what am I analyzing, and how, and what do I want to report, and how do they relate to each other.  You've given us some of the information, but maybe enough.  You've got a weight of a precip, and you want to know how the weight of each ion is represented in the precip weight.  Or maybe some steps are missing?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Isiluv

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
Thanks, I've got the clue from a text. The chemical factor is number of atoms of the desired element present in the compound, multiplied by the atomic weight, all divided by the molecular weight of the compound. It is used to get the weight of the element by multiplying with the weighed ppt.
In my case the CF of Ni+ =
(1*58)/394.99 = 0.147
the mass of Ni+ is now CF*Ppt

Sponsored Links