June 15, 2024, 10:35:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: unbalanced redox reaction  (Read 3105 times)

Offline FOrbitals

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
unbalanced redox reaction
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly, thanks for having a look at my post.

I have been given an assignment to do on reactions in general, I've gotten a bit stuck with this one:

Fe(OH)3 + HOCl  :rarrow: H2FeO4 + HCl.

I have to balance the equation, using the half reaction method.
So, what I've done is :
- Removed the hydrogen from HOCl, H2FeO4 and HCl as I think that they are spectator ions, seeing as their oxidation state doesn't change throughout the reaction.

- This then left me with Fe(OH)3 + OCl-  :rarrow: FeO42- + Cl-

- From having the above, I took Fe as the reducing agent( as it lost H and gained O) and Cl and the oxidizing agent(as it lost O)

-Presuming those were correct, I went forward with the half reactions;
O: Fe(OH)3 + 2e- :rarrow: FeO4 + H2O
R:OCl- :rarrow:Cl-+2e-

-From having these half reactions, I moved forward with balancing it, (hoping that it is in a basic solution) I got to this:

2Fe(OH)3 + 3OCl- + 4OH- :rarrow: 2FeO42- + 3Cl-+5H2O

Now, the reason I'm stuck, is that I'm not entirely sure if I was correct to take out the H as a spectator and if doing so caused my whole thing to go wrong?
Please let me know if what I did was logical and correct?
The method that I have used, is that the correct method since I have been asked to use the half equation method?

Thanks so much for reading this. All help is greatly appreciated!

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: unbalanced redox reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:48:02 PM »
starting to check your work from the end, first I was quite at ease:
2Fe(OH)3 + 3OCl- + 4OH- :rarrow: 2FeO42- + 3Cl-+5H2O
well, some protons left/right still were missing(equal numbers  :rarrow: no prob) , some final water balancing still needed to be done, but, asides from that , everything looks allright.

then I started to check your half equations

not so good

... and after finishing that, the big question that remained for me was: how the heck did he get from that - to his final equation, which is right?  Did you look it up somewhere and just introduce it as your final result?

well, ok , step by step, let's start with checking the oxidation states (formal analysis):

iron in Fe(OH)3 corresponds to Fe(+III) + 3 OH- , in H2FeO4 to 2 H+ + Fe(+VI) + 4 O2-
 :rarrow: going from (+III) to (+VI) , this is an oxidation, and it will release 3 electrons per iron involved

chlorine in HOCl corresponds to H+ + O2- + Cl(+I) , in HCl to H+ + Cl(-I)
 :rarrow: going from (+I) to (-I) , this is a reduction, and it requires 2 electrons per chlorine involved

now then, based on this analysis , let's frame some raw half equations ( i.e. not balanced with respect to the total electron exchange) , using water as temporary balance

(ox.) Fe(OH)3 + H2:rarrow: H2FeO4 + 3 H+ + 3 e-

(red.) HOCl + 2 e-  :rarrow: Cl- + OH-

(brief checking ... yeah, looks good)

now we need equal numbers of electrons to be exchanged in both half processes, and with 2 and three in each sub-process, respectively,  the answer of course is 6
 :rarrow: we'll need the oxidation twice, the reduction three times to get where we want

therefore:

( 2* ox.)  2 Fe(OH)3 + 2 H2:rarrow: 2 H2FeO4 + 6 H+ + 6 e-
(3* red.)  3 HOCl + 6 e-  :rarrow: 3 Cl- + 3 OH-

=================

(redox) 2 Fe(OH)3 + 3 HOCl + 2 H2:rarrow: 2 H2FeO4 + 3 Cl - + 6 H+ + 3 OH-

=

(redox) 2 Fe(OH)3 + 3 HOCl   :rarrow: 2 H2FeO4 + 3 HCl  +  H2O

well, here we are

any questions?

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline FOrbitals

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:14 AM »
Hi Ingo. 
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
Only last thing,  is that reaction taking place in an acidic or basic medium?

Thanks so much for your help.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +178/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »
I would say alcaline. H2FeO4 is only known as salt for example BaFeO4.

Offline FOrbitals

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
But what about the HCl and HOCl then?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
I would agree that the outer pH should be on the mild alkaline side  (in fact , I would recommend to use a buffer to keep it there, as the HCl produced else would spoil the party,as Hunter2 pointed out correctly), somewhere near 7.5 or so.

in this situation , Fe(OH)3 still would be Fe(OH)3 ( the limit is somewhere around pH > 3.5 , if memory serves), H2FeO4 (pKa1= 3.5 , pKa2 = 7.3 ) would be sufficiently deprotonated to protect it, and HOCl ( pKa 7.54) still would be present ( as part of its own buffer) in concentrations high enough to serve the purpose.

Of course, taking this into account , the redox-equation "in reality" would look somewhat different:
(redox) 2 Fe(OH)3 + 3 HOCl  + 7 OH-  :rarrow: 2 FeO42- + 3 Cl- +  8 H2O

so yes, there is a difference between the what you were asked to show ( with respect to educts, products) and reality's requirements

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links