April 19, 2024, 05:22:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Universal indicator paper acid purple  (Read 2068 times)

Offline dextermorgan1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Universal indicator paper acid purple
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
I have some universal indicator paper and I put conc HCl on it and it turned purple, how is that possible, the paper is in my lab room which now and again see hcl gas I'm the air enough so that the edges of the papers are red, from being in an acidic enviro, I also dipped the paperin some pure water and then applied another drop of hcl but again turned purple

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Universal indicator paper acid purple
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
I have some universal indicator paper

Awesome.

and I put conc HCl on it and it turned purple

Cool 8)

how is that possible, the paper is in my lab room which now and again see hcl gas I'm the air enough so that the edges of the papers are red, from being in an acidic enviro, I also dipped the paperin some pure water and then applied another drop of hcl but again turned purple

Try some dilute HCl solutions, and see what color you get.  You very strong HCl may be producing another reaction, or may simply make so much red color that it looks purple, or maybe that's just the indicator reaction to strong acid.

Universal indicator doesn't mean "universally understood" or universally defined.  They mean it covers a wide range, but we don't know what color it should be.  That will be different across manufacturers.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links