April 28, 2024, 09:36:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help with proceedure  (Read 1817 times)

Offline George Pumpkin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need help with proceedure
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:20:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am assigned to do a task in the lab and received a manual for it. Most of the procedures are clear but there is one bit I am very uncertain of. It tells me the following:

(x) Filter the hot solution through a fine filter paper.
(y) Wash the residue with HCl (1:40) and six times with hot water.
(z) combine the two filtrates in a 1000 mL beaker.

What confuses me is - I firstly assumed I will perform suction filtration with the Buchner flask + funnel and then wash the precipitate with some acid and then six times with hot water. But then it says I need to combine filtrates, hence I thought I need to use a separating funnel to perform 'washings'. I did a search on internet and indeed in most cases people advise to use separating funnel. However, to separate things - you need this solutions to be insoluble in each other (e.g. organic solution + aqueous solution). I read the manual couple of times ans can't find any organic reagents in it (in previous steps, HCl, Na2CO3 solutions were used). So I come back to an idea with using the Buchner flask and funnel and vacuum filtration.

Could someone please tell me their opinion whether I am on a right way with this procedure.

P.S. I just had a second thought - in step (x) the solution that is used contains some amount of Silica - does this going to make it to be insoluble in water/aqueous solutions and thus making possible separations?

I look forward to hearing from you  ;D

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:45:28 AM by George Pumpkin »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: I need help with proceedure
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:01 AM »
No sep funnel here, washing a solid is normally done by filtration. A trituration really.

It sounds like your product is in the acidic and hot water fractions.

If you post the actual reaction you are doing, it will be easier to tell.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I need help with proceedure
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
Read your protocol more critically -- as you've interpreted it, you're going to suction filter a solid, then scrape it out, and shake it in a separatory funnel?  Six or more times?  Why would you switch "funnel" types?  How would a sep funnel work for washing a solid?  And if it would, why wouldn't you use it at the start, except for the fact that ... it wouldn't work?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:26:59 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links