April 28, 2024, 12:59:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the orbital hybridization of two atom molecules?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Cyrustorz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
What is the orbital hybridization of two atom molecules?
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:23:32 AM »
My textbook says that:
1. Covalent bonds result in orbital hybrization
2. 2 Atom molecules are linear (duh?)
3. After more than 2 atoms, hybrization of orbitals will result in the atoms attaching in the same pattern as the hybrid orbitals: a tetrahedral pyramid.

My question is, can the two-atom molecules also result in the pyramid-like hybrid orbitals despite having a "linear" atom structure? If not, what do their orbitals look like together?

Edit: the constant verifications for every post and the registration is starting to piss me off.  I'm terrible at them apparently and it won't let me post. Whoever's in charge of this really needs to chill on the security protocols.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: What is the orbital hybridization of two atom molecules?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:52:20 AM »
Lets take fluorine. The atomic structure is [He] 2s2 2 p5. The s and the 3 p-orbitals form a sp3 hybrid orbital. In this pyramid only one Orbital can take a electron, because the other already occupied. So two fluorine atoms touch on one corner of the tetrahedral pyramid and form a single bond between and we get F2.

Offline Cyrustorz

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Lets take fluorine. The atomic structure is [He] 2s2 2 p5. The s and the 3 p-orbitals form a sp3 hybrid orbital. In this pyramid only one Orbital can take a electron, because the other already occupied. So two fluorine atoms touch on one corner of the tetrahedral pyramid and form a single bond between and we get F2.

So once it actually becomes F2, would the the 2 F atom nucleus' be located in 2 corners of the tetrahedral pyramid orbital formation?

Thank you for the response.

Offline Cyrustorz

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
Oh wait of course that makes so much more sense. Thanks

Sponsored Links