April 29, 2024, 05:33:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A precipitation reaction query  (Read 1551 times)

Offline PFScience

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A precipitation reaction query
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »
Hi all... I have a reaction  query

Suppose you had a neutral metal complex that was capable of forming 2 different geometric isomers (cis and trans), how and why would reactions conditions (eg temperature) affect which one was precipitated out? The cis isomer has the greater polarity and the solvent is assumed to be an aqueous ethanol.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: A precipitation reaction query
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
Hi all... I have a reaction  query

Suppose you had a neutral metal complex that was capable of forming 2 different geometric isomers (cis and trans), how and why would reactions conditions (eg temperature) affect which one was precipitated out? The cis isomer has the greater polarity and the solvent is assumed to be an aqueous ethanol.

I would guess it would be a similar situation to general recrystallisations, like dissolves like. Aqueous ethanol is quite polar so it would be more likely in my opinion that this would dissolve the cis isomer more readily in this case.

Offline PFScience

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: A precipitation reaction query
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »

I would guess it would be a similar situation to general recrystallisations, like dissolves like. Aqueous ethanol is quite polar so it would be more likely in my opinion that this would dissolve the cis isomer more readily in this case.

This is exactly what I thought but upon analysing an IR spectra, it looks like the cis-isomer has been precipitated out. The experiment is conducted at approx 70 C and involves a slow cool to RTP followed by an ice bath. Is this possible or am I misinterpreting the spectra?

Sponsored Links