April 26, 2024, 02:51:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Le Chatelier's Principle  (Read 6104 times)

Offline cvc121

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Le Chatelier's Principle
« on: April 18, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »
Hi,

For the reaction CoCl42-(aq) + 6H2O(l)  :resonance: Co(H2O)62+(aq) + 4Cl-(aq) + heat, how does adding KCl, adding AgNO3 which reacts with Cl-, and adding water affect the goal, shift, [CoCl42-], H2O, [Co(H2O)62+], [Cl-], and heat.

Here is my attempt:
I am not sure about this but is KCl a catalyst? If so, I would say that it has no effect on anything (it just increases the rate at which the system reaches equilibrium). What would the goal be though?

For adding AgNO3, would it decrease the concentration of [Cl-]? How would it affect the others? What is the goal and the shift? Really confused about this one.

For H2O, decrease [] of the aqueous substances because it causes there to be more solvent. However, how would you know what way the reaction would shift? And how does the shift affect the [] of the substances? Also, would the goal be to decrease H2O?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Le Chatelier's Principle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
Adding KCl means adding Cl-, adding AgNO3 means removing Cl-. Le Chatelier's principle tells you the system will try to counter the effect.

You have water on the left - you add water. Same kind of a problem.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cvc121

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
Makes sense. Greatly appreciate the help, Borek. I just have a couple more quick questions. If the stress is adding KCl for example, would the goal be to decrease [KCl] or [Cl-]? Also, if you add water to the reaction NaOH(s)  :resonance: Na+(aq) + OH-(aq), the aqueous substances would all decrease in concentration because there is more solvent, right? So the reaction would shift to the right because the goal is to increase the [Na+] and [OH-] right?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »
If the stress is adding KCl for example, would the goal be to decrease [KCl] or [Cl-]?

Why decrease, if you add? In general - question as asked is impossible to answer. If you add diluted KCl solution you can be diluting both KCl and Cl- (and K+). If you add a solid KCl typically it will mean increasing [KCl] and [Cl-]. In general I would prefer to think in terms of K+ and Cl- separately, as in most cases one of them will be most likely a spectator.

Also, if you add water to the reaction NaOH(s)  :resonance: Na+(aq) + OH-(aq), the aqueous substances would all decrease in concentration because there is more solvent, right? So the reaction would shift to the right because the goal is to increase the [Na+] and [OH-] right?

Reaction will definitely shift right, whether it is "the goal" - and of what - I can not say.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links