March 28, 2024, 02:15:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: enthalpy and stability!  (Read 34984 times)

pink_ska_punk

enthalpy and stability!
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:35 AM »
hey im doing some revision for my chem AS level and im struggling with most of the questions- but the answers arent in the book, or i dont understand them. there probably an obvious anser but i dont understand it so heres the question! :-\
a)How is the enthalpy of formation of a substance connected to the stability of the substance?
b)the enthalpy of combusion of rhombic sulphur is -296.6 kjmol   but monoclinic is -297, they both form suphur dioxide when burnt. why are these two values different and which of te two allotropes is more thermodynamically stable!! ??? ???
be grateful for any information or helpful links:)
thanks!

fadingrainbows

Re: enthalpy and stability!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
a) the higher the enthalpy of formation of a substance, the higher the energy level of the substance.
The higher the energy level of the substance, the less stable it becomes, as it can lose more energy by reacting to from lower energy products.
This, however, only refers to thermodynamic stability, not kinetic stability, which is unaffected by enthalpy of formation.
b)I'n not sure on the difference, but the more thermodyamically stable allotrope is the one which is at a higher energy level, and will therefore have a larger enthalpy of combustion.
Hope that helps.

pink_ska_punk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:33:45 AM »
a) the higher the enthalpy of formation of a substance, the higher the energy level of the substance.
The higher the energy level of the substance, the less stable it becomes, as it can lose more energy by reacting to from lower energy products.
This, however, only refers to thermodynamic stability, not kinetic stability, which is unaffected by enthalpy of formation.
b)I'n not sure on the difference, but the more thermodyamically stable allotrope is the one which is at a higher energy level, and will therefore have a larger enthalpy of combustion.
Hope that helps.

thanks for the info im abit confused by the part b bit though... i see that a higher energy substance is less thermodynamically stable; so in part b do you mean that the more stable allotrope is the one which is at a lower energy level or is it a totally different concept?

fadingrainbows

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:47:53 AM »
Absolutely right, the more stable allotrope is the one at a lower energy level, and therefore has a smaller enthalpy of combustion, exactly oppopsite to what I wrote in part b.  Sorry, that was a silly mistake on my part.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
This is a horrible question and you should tell your teacher so. Both allotropes are stable or they would not exist! The enthalpy of combustion has absolutely nothing to do with stability, it only lets you determine how energetically favorable a given combustion reaction is. A better method for determining the overall stability of an allotropic state would be with enthalpy of formation not enthalpy of combustion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:50:50 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

pink_ska_punk

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
haha, the teacher didnt give it to me- its a book that did. but, ill make sure i tell her anyway!!! thanks:)

Sponsored Links