April 28, 2024, 06:48:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iron oxide  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Pbandjelly

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iron oxide
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »
Does anyone know of a good way to make iron oxide besides electrolysis – that is the method I am curling you currently usingbut I only can make about a tablespoon every 12 hours which is a little slow for any realistic amount

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Iron oxide
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:14:36 AM »
Add to Iron-III salt some hydroxide, Iron hydroxide will precipitate. Filter this and dry it at high temperature The iron hydroxide will convert to The iron oxide.

Offline Pbandjelly

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:58:59 AM »
This is the exact process I use I just find it to inefficient and wondered if anyone had a better method :/

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Leave some iron in a moist environment until it rusts?  Not particularly fast, but you can start with as much iron as you want, and its a hands off process.  How much iron oxide do you really need?  What is your starting material -- how finely divided is your iron?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:32:40 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Pbandjelly

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »
I can't test the quality of the iron oxide I'm getting, but I'm using what appeared to be iron bolts, they might have some allot in it to them but I figured that will not be get up in the process

Offline arbyflask

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
Steel wool, the finest grade you can get.  Cover in 12% hydrogen peroxide, sold as "40 volume developer" at beauty shops.  Add a tablespoon of table salt and stand back, wear your goggles, because it will go exothermically to yellow iron hydroxide which you can collect and dry on a filter.  I like to do this reaction in disposable plastic cups, so I don't have to clean a beaker, but I place the cups inside a beaker so that if the cup does melt through (hasn't happened yet) I won't have permanent rust crud all over the bench.

Bake the iron hydroxide in a crucible over a gas flame for an hour and you will have gorgeous pigment-grade red iron (III) oxide.

Sponsored Links